Terminal setups for SWR

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Terminal setups for SWR

Post by peatop »

I've been reading up and watching youtube on setups i might need at SWR and thought i would ask about the setups you guys use there. I read that mono is best used for marlin for the stretch, would top shoting braid with a decent length of wind on mono do the trick? What's used as trace for the macheral single wire or multi strand?

I know you guys say you often buy what's needed from mo's but i like to pre buy as funds become available so my out of pocket expenses are kept to a minimum ;) so anything that you can recommend would certainty get me a long way to a good start on my SWR's experience :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Re: Terminal setups for SWR

Post by Kiwidundee »

There is a lot of good articles on here about what tackle to bring if you can find them.
90% of your fishing up there you could do with a heavy westernport rig. The remaining 10% would be if you were lucky enough to hook a marlin. I fished 50lb braid with a 50lb wind on leader. It was heavier than most but I like to have the odds in my favour. Nylon leaders of between 50 and 80lb will cover anything without teeth. Single strand wire between 30 and 50lbs works fine.
Everyone has slightly different ideas but this is what I used. You don't need expensive gear but you need some decent line capacity if you hook a big wahoo or billfish.
Have fun and you will learn more on your first few days there than months of study at home.
Craig
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Terminal setups for SWR

Post by peatop »

If you can find it :lol: to true i have often searched only to find information that is out of date, but in saying that i often find good information but it's always a good option to ask :thumbsup: i understand that billfish arnt common but best to know the how to rather than loose one if i hookup, as far as line capacity if setup 2 trolling rods with overhead reals that are spooled with approximately 500m 40lb braid and my other heavy rods should handle the rest of the work i hope lol

I hope my new gear gets a good workout this season down at Portland, in any case i should get a good idea on where i stand with the setups i now have in readyness for my trip to SWR
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm