Altona P2

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Pinoyatoz
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Compass

Re: Altona P2

Post by Pinoyatoz »

Thanks for the advise Shane.

I've got no plans to go to P2 at this stage. But, I definitely want to keep extending myself on the yak.
My goal is to go offshore and catch a tuna someday just like my ancestors (tuna fishos) have done for years.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

You should looking into the NSC 2020 (Portland) ran by Eoin in this group. Good practice in an organised environment and ran very well.

Target is mainly Kingfish, but there will be a large turnout of yaks. At least 30 I think.
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

It's definitely on my radar for 2021 Brian.
I think I need more experience, skill and stamina to tackle the rigours of the NSC comp.
It's already on my bucket list to do.
Cheers!
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Pinoyatoz wrote:It's definitely on my radar for 2021 Brian.
I think I need more experience, skill and stamina to tackle the rigours of the NSC comp.
It's already on my bucket list to do.
Cheers!
You should do this years comp anyway. I've won major prize packs mainly through fish caught a couple of hundred metres from the launch. So you don't have to go far or need much stamina plus you're fishing around a heap of others. If you can fish PPB then you can fish in close along Dutton Way.
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Yes you should do this year comp. Nunn's beach is also protected in a lot of conditions. I recall Lobo catching and releasing many good fish there a few years ago very close to launch. Also pinkies, whiting, salmon, squid to be had as well. Do it this season to gain the confidence for next.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

I,like Shane, won a massive prize pack having not landed a fish too far from the beach.

Luis and I came across a school of massive kingfish about 400-500m from Henty Beach (which is the launch!) the day before the Comp.

As an FYI, the Comp will be the only time you will be fishing offshore with so many like minded kayakers, not to mention the significant safety presence you will have. Eoin is on the beach, and he has several safety crew in boats out on the water. You will NEVER fish is such safe and controlled environment.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Yup just follow the links to the comp and do it! :lol: ask these guy on setups and how to's last year i didn't catch a species in the comp on the days (everything else) but i did land quite a few kings before and after :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

It's heart warming to be invited to join the NSC20 by such respected VYakers considering where I'm at with the sport.

I believe I am maybe too late to sign up?

Back to asking newbie questions...
What do a participant need to join the NSC? E.g., Safety gears, fishing equipment, a nice guy, a sense of humour, etc hahaha :lol:
benc120382
kayak: 4.3

Post by benc120382 »

Pinoyatoz wrote:It's heart warming to be invited to join the NSC20 by such respected VYakers considering where I'm at with the sport.

What do a participant need to join the NSC? E.g., Safety gears, fishing equipment, a nice guy, a sense of humour, etc hahaha :lol:
Check out this link it has a lot of information on the NSC https://seasherpakayaks.wordpress.com/2 ... t-for-nsc/
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Pinoyatoz wrote:It's heart warming to be invited to join the NSC20 by such respected VYakers considering where I'm at with the sport.

Oh i think there are a few grumpy old men that join :lol: but that depends on how much rest i get ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm