Burley Techniques

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
rambocambo
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback '18, '20

Burley Techniques

Post by rambocambo »

Hi guys,

I've just got a new sounder and looking to catch my first king george whiting. I've been launching off woolleys beach (stony point), but I havnt had any luck. I think its a lack of experience and fishing knowledge. I've been reading up about whitings and have comeacross the use of burley. I'm wondering what burley technique do you guys use on a kayak, especially in high current locations.

These are what I've come across:
1. Dropping scoops of pallets off the side of the yak.
2. Drop a burley pot down and tug it to release the burley.
3. Drop a 'Secret Weapon burley bomb'.
4. Surface burley by tying the burley a meter off the side of the yak.

#1 - Seems to be ineffective in fast currents and you'd have to drop it every few minutes to get the fish to you.
#2 - Do you drop it off just under your yak? what if the sand holes/patches are a few meters infront and you dont want to spook the fish? Also, I'm guessing you'd have to top up your burley pot if you want to move onto the next sand patch.
#3 - Seems to be only effective in deeper waters, and might be a pain keeping manage of lengthy anchor line and burley line.
#4 - Seems to attract all kinds of fish from a distance, but would it be effective for bottom feeders?

Please feel free to share you experiences of whats most effective :mrgreen: .
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Burley Techniques

Post by shane »

Heavy burley pot suspended a metre off the bottom under the yak. Let the burley disperse out from the pot with the current. Replenish as needed.:up:
0408 565 763
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Like Shane said suspended off the bottom but only a bit. In high current throwing pallets over the side is useless. Needs to be near the bottom.

Also look at the rig. The rig I use for whiting north PPB would be a lot different in tidal areas. Also I never have luck sounding KGW. I just look for sandy areas around weed beds. if nothing there move to the next one. You might only need to move 10m. Whiting can be congregated in a very small area
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

If I'm using burley, I would normally clip a burley pot onto the anchor cable with a karibiner (so that it can slide on the cable), and drop it overboard with the anchor (one less cable for the fish to wrap themselves around).
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I fish for whiting similar to Brian,however I never use burley for whiting, although i used to swear by burleying one of the problems I've found is it attracts a lot of other non desirable species however I do use it when fishing for gars, many years ago i used to make my own using bran, pollard and tuna oil but now i just use chicken pellets coated in tuna oil lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
rambocambo
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback '18, '20

Post by rambocambo »

Ok, seems like the common method is to suspend the burley pot off the bottom.