Should I give Altona a go...

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: Should I give Altona a go...

Post by Reeling »

Pinoyatoz wrote:I'm happy to give Torquay a go mate as long as I've got you to tow me back to shore if shi* hits the fan. :lol:
Seriously, I'm game Pete... just let me know when.
How ironic, Shane did EXACTLY the same thing for Pete if i remember correctly when he first went out there?

vicyak wrote:If a newbie is not certain about going to the stick at Altona then Torquay FADS at this time wouldn't recommend.

The millers road ramp is now open and there is some good spots for squid, flathead, whiting, pinkies. I was their Wednesday night and got no snapper but the couple whiting I got were 40cm. Squid are in close as well.

Sunday is looking much better.
Although the water is very different outside, than on the bay I would agree with Brian about becoming accustomed to being on the kayak before heading openwater side.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Pinoyatoz
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Compass

Post by Pinoyatoz »

Noted Brian... cheers mate.

I really would like to fish the right hand side of Altona pier towards the Apex. I believe it's the safest option for newbies like myself in the right conditions.
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

Reeling wrote:
Pinoyatoz wrote:I'm happy to give Torquay a go mate as long as I've got you to tow me back to shore if shi* hits the fan. :lol:
How ironic, Shane did EXACTLY the same thing for Pete if i remember correctly when he first went out there?

Hahaha... I'll ask Pete myself. ;)
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Pinoyatoz wrote:
Reeling wrote:

Hahaha... I'll ask Pete myself. ;)
No need to ask that was a later night trip we did however thankful of the tow it was only a very short tow, i was quite happy amongst the swell although it was a hard slog getting back in my barge ;) but hey you get that with a change in predicted conditions :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Cambells cove is another good place for a beginner as like Altona you dont have to go far out and can drift around and its easy to head back in if it starts to get rough.

If you are thinking of anchoring off altona you need a sounder as there are large reef areas and its easy to get your anchor stuck in the rocks.
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

I've fished Campbells Cove a few times Keith. It's pretty much my 'go to' spot. I guess like golf, I'd like to try other courses now. ;) In this analogy, from Werribee Golf Club to Kooringal Golf Club but I need member's invitation to play. :)
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I think you gotta be a pines boy to play at karingal golf course :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

peatop wrote:I think you gotta be a pines boy to play at karingal golf course :lol:
That's why I was a member at Sunshine Golf Club. ;)