Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Sport, Revo 13

Re: Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Post by bruyaka »

Welcome Clintos . :wave1: . You certainly have spent some time researching product and opinion . A lot more than most .
Sounds like you have some sea knowledge and experience and with that and knowing your personal limitations I'm sure you will enjoy your yak fishing wherever it takes you . Enjoy your kayak , take care and hope to hear some reports .
thekingfisher
kayak: Sun Dolphin Aruba 10

Post by thekingfisher »

First off you are going to want a good kayak. One that is designed for just fishing. Also proactive casting from your kayak a lot. It's a bit different but you'll get used to it. You should read this and this and it'll help you out a lot.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

thekingfisher wrote:First off you are going to want a good kayak. One that is designed for just fishing. Also proactive casting from your kayak a lot. It's a bit different but you'll get used to it. You should read this and this and it'll help you out a lot.
Well I did look at both pages John and well apart from them being a bit of an advertisement for there craft take note of the pics and see how bad the conditions were
most of these you wouldn't wont to cover any distance or get caught out with bad weather - don't get me wrong for flat water or skinny water they would be fine

as a bay kayak try paddling any into a wind or tide flow - fat and short kayaks can be a lot of hard work in less than ideal conditions

I did like the paddle length recommendation at 250 cm - they must be using really fat boats - most paddlers would use around 215 cm to 225 cm - myself I use 213 cm

What I would recommend for anyone starting out would be to read viewforum.php?f=8

and ask guys that have been kayak fishing for some time that aren't trying to sell you a product - so here goes for skinny water ( flat water ) as above --- for the bays a kayak at least 3.6 meter ( 12 foot in the old money ) but 4 meters or longer would be better and larger trips on the bays or off shore start thinking more toward 5 meters

my short kayak is 4.3 meters long kept as a spare - my normal kayak for the Bays and Offshore is 5.25 mers long and my fitness training kayak is 5.75 meters long

you may ask why and it's a safety thing if the weather turns bad ( and yes most that have been doing this for a while have been caught out when the weather mans guess has been wrong ) a longer and normally better designed fishing kayak is fast enough to paddle into a wind and have the stability to handle bigger seas
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

and ask guys that have been kayak fishing for some time that aren't trying to sell you a product
cough cough, buy a Hobie, cough cough.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Joking.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

maverick wrote:
and ask guys that have been kayak fishing for some time that aren't trying to sell you a product
cough cough, buy a Hobie, cough cough.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Joking.
I'd cough to !
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

You two had better be careful with all this coughing, they might mistakenly lock you both away for 14 days :evilgrin:
I do love a bit of friendly rivalry though :thumbsup:
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

lol, not sure how this thread got restarted, my last post was 2018 when I purchased the kayak...
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

clintos wrote:lol, not sure how this thread got restarted, my last post was 2018 when I purchased the kayak...
Just some random scammer jumped in to try and steer a bit of traffic to a couple of sites. It happens.

The best one I saw was on Fishing Victoria where someone decided to use this technique to advertise their digital marketing business. The irony!
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

4liters wrote:
clintos wrote:lol, not sure how this thread got restarted, my last post was 2018 when I purchased the kayak...
Just some random scammer jumped in to try and steer a bit of traffic to a couple of sites. It happens.

The best one I saw was on Fishing Victoria where someone decided to use this technique to advertise their digital marketing business. The irony!
So I shouldn't purchase one of the top canoes?
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

clintos wrote:
4liters wrote:

So I shouldn't purchase one of the top canoes?
No, I think it’s just a site set up to funnel clicks to various Amazon vendors and collect the commissions.

The Old Town site looks legit although they aren’t very common here from what I’ve seen so it might be hard to find them.