Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Hello - new and looking to getting into Kayak fishing

Post by vicyak »

You have had countless people here tell you 10ft is to short for the bay. Yes on nice days you will not have a problem.

Based on others experiences maybe they haven't been caught out in high winds. Maybe they are very experienced and can handle a rubby ducky in high winds. who knows. But I do know as someone new to kayaking going out in a short kayak in the bay is risky.

By the way there are many yakkers on this site who ventured out in open waters over 10km offshore. Most people would think that is crazy but they are highly experienced at kayak handling and have done the training and 100's of trips to get the handling and confidence up.

Worst case at least you got a nice kayak for one form of fishing. Worst case you buy another 2nd hand yak for the bay like the one on offer here for $650.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

If you follow Facebook groups you might have heard of a fella I know called Brett

Having a helicopter search deployed once wasn't enough for him. He went on channel seven news with a hero story of catching a shark.
Fast forward two weeks and he almost lost his life, again search and rescue deployed and plucked him from the depths.
I tried to warn him and this "I'll be ok" attitude sucks.
IV been in hairy places myself almost drowning off Inverloch bar, and my kayak is a weapon.
You've been warned
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

choppers wrote:If you follow Facebook groups you might have heard of a fella I know called Brett

Having a helicopter search deployed once wasn't enough for him. He went on channel seven news with a hero story of catching a shark.
Fast forward two weeks and he almost lost his life, again search and rescue deployed and plucked him from the depths.
I tried to warn him and this "I'll be ok" attitude sucks.
IV been in hairy places myself almost drowning off Inverloch bar, and my kayak is a weapon.
You've been warned
I don't quite understand what you are getting at with this comment, a story about someone who by the sounds is an idiot, and then a comment about you running into trouble in an area that is not relateable to any areas I have mentioned about fishing in.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

He also didn't listen to warnings
And point of my story is even very experienced people get into trouble, im just glad I had a decent craft.
Speaking of idiots you seem to fit the Facebook hero group not the vyaker world :roll:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

choppers wrote:He also didn't listen to warnings
And point of my story is even very experienced people get into trouble, im just glad I had a decent craft.
Speaking of idiots you seem to fit the Facebook hero group not the vyaker world :roll:
Rob to be fair he has sought after advice and at least now has more knowledge. A lot of cowboys out there who don't even seek advice. At least he knows more now of what can happen.

For example 2 years ago I went to Ricketts after work and sat in the carpark waiting to go. Was about 18knots west and not good conditions for going out but was dying down. Waited for 45 minutes but decided not to go. At the same time 2 guys sharing an very elcheapo yak and they already had a few beers in them. About to head out. One paddle between them. No leash no PFD's. Convinced them not to go but definately would have been news material.
clintos
Apprentice
kayak: Pedalfish 10

Post by clintos »

choppers wrote: Speaking of idiots you seem to fit the Facebook hero group not the vyaker world :roll:
...whack!
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

choppers wrote:He also didn't listen to warnings
Nothing wrong with not taking every bit of advice on board.

Some of the posts from a few years back about safe clothing to wear while kayaking made it seem like anything less than a full dry suit would be suicide. Needless to say myself and countless others ignored that and went with something slightly less effective but eminently more affordable.

If he'd bought a Hobie Quest 11 instead (which is only 30cm longer than the Pedalfish) nobody would raise an eyebrow.
clintos wrote:So I've taken the plunge on purchased a Pedelfish 10 (native slayer 10 clone) - there is an active group on Facebook with these things and heaps of Bay fishing being done.

I've been thinking a lot about the type of fishing I'll be doing and this one just made sense as an all rounder for me (including the price!), considering I'll be doing river, estuary and inshore bay fishing - maybe even some lakes if I find any around my area. Hopefully I don't get blasted on here for going against peoples advice too much (get a long kayak) - the kayak is 3.2 meters (40cm shorter than a compass) so as long as I'm smart about when to go out should be all good.

See you guys out there on the water!

Clint.
Don't worry about some of the comments above, just because it isn't an ideal kayak for bay fishing doesn't mean it can't be done. Be aware of the limitations of the kayak, practice re-entering, take appropriate safety gear and always keep an eye on the weather and you should be ok. I feel like the biggest danger is when people buy an unsuitable kayak and have zero awareness of it's limitations, you've at least had a read of some of the potential issues and can plan accordingly.

I don't know how the Pedalfish goes but I find my Slayer to be a really nice yak to fish out of so I think you'll be pretty happy with yours.

I hope those comments don't put you off and you stick around and share some reports from the new yak, maybe post a review of it as well as I don't think I've heard a review from anyone with a Pedalfish.
DaveCandy
Apprentice
kayak: Pro Angler 14

Post by DaveCandy »

RTM sold shortly after I posted up the price, so unfortunately IF you were to look at a longer yak, that one is no longer available.

I don't see anything wrong with your purchase, it will just be a restriction in its capabilities compared to a longer yak.

As I've always been told - nothing wrong with what you've got, just be careful where you stick it.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

nothing wrong with what you've got, just be careful where you stick it.
Thats what my ex said :lol: :cry: i think she was referring to my car :shock:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Daniel-J
kayak: Old Town Discovery 158

Post by Daniel-J »

It's easier to buy a yacht than a 3-meter kayak, I think. I'm considering buying a new model for myself, so if you're still interested, you can look at these options.