All members please read!

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
JackCracker
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA

Re: All members please read!

Post by JackCracker »

also if you display the white light it usually classed as an anchor light in power boat regulation, so other boats would have to give way anyway
paulhunter
Apprentice
kayak: AI

Post by paulhunter »

I already carry flares and pump with me all the time and a whistle on safety vest thinking about putting reflector tape under hull
tonystott
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Post by tonystott »

In my view, fitting red and green navigation lights onto a yak are definite NEGATIVE safety items.
1) As mentioned above, they can falsely indicate to others that you are a powerboat under way, and therefore capable of giving right of way.
2)Being so low in the water, they are far less likely to be visible than you might think, giving a false sense of security.
2012 Hobie Tandem Island
"SIC EM"
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

tonystott wrote:In my view, fitting red and green navigation lights onto a yak are definite NEGATIVE safety items.
1) As mentioned above, they can falsely indicate to others that you are a powerboat under way, and therefore capable of giving right of way.
2)Being so low in the water, they are far less likely to be visible than you might think, giving a false sense of security.
Plus being closer together you might be mistaken for a boat in the distance rather than a little yak about to be run over.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Glad to see this is still getting bumped. :up:
Stay safe.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

I think it's a timely reminder to mention re entry practice , with the water getting cooler a couple of things change first the need to be out of the water quickly is more important that warmer water as the cold water will sap you energy quicker making it harder to remount the longer you take
and you will be wearing more clothing layers than you probably practiced with

After reading Mals ( winchbitch ) report from his trip from Fri 17/4/15 -- also Mals no dill when it comes to kayak fishing with a lot of hours on the water in sometimes much less than ideal condition ( I know as I have fished many times with him on some really sh!ty windy days )
just goes to show we can all get caught out and take an unplaned dip
winchbitch wrote:Fished Balnarring on friday night with Shane, Rob & Mick, a very quiet night with 1 PJ & 3 yakks for me. Headed back in around midnight and as I got close to the beach I got caught out by a swell pushed up by the reef and was dumped in the water ( first time in 4 years of yakking) lost 4 rods 2 knives & my paddle (leash snapped). What I learned is that leashes are bad much better to loose a net & gaff than to be tangled up in them, more practice in re entry with a loaded yak and all my wet weather gear on is required. As I couldn't get back on I inflated my jacket and swam my yak in to shore. After beaching the yak I went straight to my car and got out of my wet gear to prevent freezing. By the time I got back down to the beach Shane had landed and was a big help retreving my yak after draining out a lot of water. So now I need a new paddle some new rods and a lot more re entry practice oh and a new gas cylinder for my stormy jacket (it worked a treat fortunatly) :oops: :oops:
Now think about your re entry practice was it a nice carm day - nice warm water and no tide flows
then think about when you are most likely to fall in -- rougher waters -- fully loaded kayak with gear and fish -- maybe a tide flow ( WP and the sth end of PPB )
around a shallow reefy area where waves tend to stand up and of cause were you layer up with clothing for winter
all these examples are worth thinking about when you do your next re entry practice

Something else worth thinking about an assisted re entry -- if you had to help some one back on there kayak how would you do it --
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Your right Steve, timely reminder. I'm keen to do a fully clothed, rough water reentry practice day. If we get a gang together it could be a few laughs and great practice

Kind of feel bad for mal, headin in solo in dark and turned over would have been scary whilst all alone. Should have stayed as a group for safety sake. As cheater said he's no dill and even so it could be way worse
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)