useful gps locator app

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

useful gps locator app

Post by laneends »

This app on your phone automatically sends your gps coords to emergency services when you call them
https://emergencyapp.triplezero.gov.au/
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Re: useful gps locator app

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Loaded it tonight. Hope I never have to use it.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Good idea :up:
Although I’ll personally stick to my plb that will track my movements
John 3.16/17
Magpie_Mick
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

I have my plb as well.

Just thought this offered wider use.
benc120382
kayak: 4.3

Post by benc120382 »

Good app this I have had it loaded for a bit now
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I just want a phone that can make phone calls :thumbsup: although i installed safetrx and think it's a good app for water crafts i don't turn it on as like most other apps they drain your battery, i have my EPIRB, PLB (both gps models) radio and my phone while on the water, if i get into trouble i hope atleast one of these will prove it's worth ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I think the point is if you call in and are waiting for help with necessarily setting of a plb, you are inadvertently giving them a bum steer by saying you are somewhere while in fact you have drifted elsewhere.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Although i understand what your saying, i think this app is for general use and not really applicable to water safety, safetrx is a customized app designed by the coastguard that has a call button to alert them to your mishap should you have one, while not saying the 000 app is a bad app i just dont think it should be thought of as one to use while on the water. ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Just in case someof you are all a bit wary about this app and reckon you will not have to rely on someone else to help you out, have a quick read of the report from
Volunteer Marine Rescue from the last couple of days only!
Just note the name of the organization that will probably be the first ones to get to you.
VOLUNTEER MARINE RESCUE................. yep Volunteers!
Give them a break and do the right thing regarding your safety.

VMR Mornington & Hastings - Volunteer Marine Rescue inc
9 hrs

Apologies if this Post is a long one, but we feel it's important.
This article could SAVE YOUR LIFE:

Recently we had 3 calls to assist vessels. 2 in Westernport and the other Port Phillip. In all cases they did not have a GPS (or were unable to read it correctly) and were only able to provide a location, Following is a very shortened summary of what occurred.

Water Police advised: "a white vessel, 1/2 cab Rego ABC123, 500 metres off the coast, the closest vessel to shore, near some PWC's off Frankston" Sounds straight forward.
A thorough search of the area could not locate the vessel, in all 8 phone calls to the occupant, finally located after one and a half hours, 4.8 kilometres off shore, in among about 20 vessels. When located, the skipper was amazed to hear how far out he was.

The second vessel called Water Police (WP) and reported they were 1 kilometre, straight out from Tooradin in the channel. VMR Vessel TX1 headed there and could not locate.
After a couple of hours, the Police Air-Wing were called in, and could not locate the boat, WP approved the vessel to ignite a red flare. TX1 saw the flare and directed the chopper to the area, who then relayed a GPS co-ordinate back to VMR.
As evening approached the occupants had decided to head home, unfortunately they entered the wrong channel and ended up right up the Bouchier channel. When finally located, they were out of fuel, phones were flat and they were 6nm (over 11 kilometres) from where they thought they were.
VMR's vessel left her berth at 10pm and returned at 4:30am 6 and a half hours, for what should have been a one hour job.

And last night (Friday) TX1 was called out to a vessel in trouble at 2:40am, the skipper reported he was off Hanns Inlet with issues, but he was not there.
Either he was unclear how to read his GPS, or it was faulty. The good news was he was located quickly and was able to follow TX1 to the Stoney Point Ramp.
Now the interesting part:
VMR requests that ALL boaters download the Emergency + App, (see photos).

This App is FREE in your Google or Apple App store.It can be used in any type of emergency situation.
And it gives an accurate GPS position. I tested it the other day, and went for a walk, it pin-pointed me within metres. It can be used on water or land.
If you hit the 000 button, it sends the GPS location to the operator along with the address of where you are.
https://emergencyapp.triplezero.gov.au/