What if you fish WPB and fall out?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: What if you fish WPB and fall out?

Post by peatop »

Turning a PA 14 over again would be very difficult in a stronger tide flow, hobie do have a ladder/footstep that would certainly help for this. I've never swam in high tide flow but i have been ib rips before, i assume they would be similar if not the same, the only way to get out of a rip is go with it or swim across it, as for the mud we might have to wait for our very own expert to give pointers on that :evilgrin:

The video was definitely a good subject to get people thinking about a scenario that most likely doesn't cross a lot of people's minds, I've read and watch discussions on tv/youtube about tethering and it seams the general consensus is it's not a good idea for many different reasons and im sure a rope out the rear would be a real pain for tangles.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about separation from the kayak and how a EPIRB attached to your kayak would serve no use, of course it's highly recommend that you stay with your kayak were possible but this will not always be possible, i bought along with my offshore saftey gear a PLB and radio, as my personal opinion is that if your out and things go pear shaped, at least you can access assistance and they can locate you relatively easily, it's not about be able to get back/recovering your kayak it's about safety.

Although this video and the next one are about re entry and way to assist in doing so, the main thing is about safety, im not saying what these guys are doing is not good, as i think it's great, however they are with fore knowledge of whats about to happen, and they are not and will not go into panic mode, they are well prepared in their mind that this is about to happen, when a person goes overboard they more often than not do it unprepared, they enter the water and are somewhat dazed/disoriented, some panic, the main thing is try to stay calm and think clearly about your options.

It's good that these guy make videos like this to highlight the dangers we as fishermen face, and to bring up discussion like this in forums and possibly amongst people at boat ramps :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I tether in high risk situations. A length of bungee clipped to my pfd and then onto the yak. It doesn't impinge my movements and you often don't notice it till you get back to land.

If I'm out on the AI in rough conditions it'd be possible to get separated from the yak. With the sail up the yak would be out of reach and gone in a heart beat. :?
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

rope wouldn't work as by the time you realise what had happened, and as pete says gathered your wits, you could be well out of reach of it.

When fishing top end of WP in particular I am mindful of this as boats are often few and far between, so attracting help would often be near impossible.

I'm kind of with shanes idea, which is unobtrusive, while a wrist tether helps better in a recovery situation odds are it would be such a nuisance as to stop you using it. Ankle tethers are ok for recreation paddling, but while fishing I hang legs over side and it would be a tangle risk, especially with all the other gear onboard.

It is probably one of the strongest arguments for a PLB, and marine radio attached to PFD. this is where well equipped kayakers have the advantage over boaties, they are more equipped for man over board situations.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

maverick wrote:Tethering is an option, only risk I see with that is if the yak happens to sink and you are tied to it, with no quick release mechanism.
Surfer type velcro cuffs, SOTs aren't going to be sinking that quickly as a rule, especially if they have decent bouyancy blocks in them.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

jaybird01 wrote:at 70 years I feel that the tether might be a good safety measure.
This is it not everyone is an olympic swimmer, especially fully clothed, wearing a PFd, and a lung full of water. Even a strong wind could prove an issue for some
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

A tether placed in a good location could be a good option, but a lot of thought should be put into it as it could prove to be part of you issue, maybe Shane and anyone else that have one could explain and/or add pictures of their setup?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Gunna
Apprentice
kayak: Ocean Kayak

Post by Gunna »

Another good reason to have a PLB, phone in waterproof pouch & VHF Handheld attached to your pfd.
In some situations a lanyard of sorts would be good but if you do please keep a knife on you in case you get stuck under the yak.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

peatop wrote:A tether placed in a good location could be a good option, but a lot of thought should be put into it as it could prove to be part of you issue, maybe Shane and anyone else that have one could explain and/or add pictures of their setup?
I usually just use 4mm Bungee, around 1 metre long un-stretched. I tie a loop into one end and tie on a S/S clip to the other end (same as I use for rod leashes). The loop end gets looped through a tie point on my pfd and the clip end attached to one of the clip points on the yak. The length allows me to move around on the yak with just a little tension at the extremes of range. If I fall out there's enough length and strength to restrain me without getting too hung up.

I also have a vhf marine radio, whistle and a PLB permanently stored in my pfd.
0408 565 763
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Staying in my kayak works well for me.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Jordo wrote:Staying in my kayak works well for me.
Thats always a great plan but Sh!t happens and probably more so to the less experienced - I fell off back when I started out at anchor on my Wavedance Kingfisher near Spit Point and at in the evening - no boats around - I was fishing with Steve ( kingfisher111 )
I didn't loose my kayak or more to the point my kayak didn't loose me to the tide flow , it very well could have if I didn't grab my yak straight away
this would be harder to do in high tide flow areas

I don't believe it would have been a problem that time as the flow would have taken me up Palmers Channel and a very short swim to French Island ( probably a muddy exit )
and standing on a beach even a muddy one is better than floating down the bay

as I said higher tide flow areas like the northern arm or eastern channels that could be a different ball game falling off
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657