OH BOY !!! Lessons to be learnt from this video

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
CabinetMaker
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Re: OH BOY !!! Lessons to be learnt from this video

Post by CabinetMaker »

HMMMMM :down:
Well done Daz for keeping your cool! I was waiting for the "Baywatch" scene when Dazza drops the camera and screams in to the drink to save the doofus's from certain drowning.
Think a lot of people see us at Millers and think how hard can it be? I'm not looking foreward to seeing someone dragged ashore after drowning for sheer stupidity :cry: Gonna happen tho!
Piscateur
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback 2011 & Native Slayer 10

Post by Piscateur »

How do you fall out that many times in relatively calm conditions. IF they used water as ballast then it would be unstable, but I'm inexperienced at best but cant see how you roll that easy unless he was over the capacity of that yak as well.
Good work none the less Rhino. Hopefully something got through and they stay off the stats.
johnnymagpie
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Quest

Post by johnnymagpie »

good job rhino it's far quits like that that will make it hrder and harder for the real yakers. he should probably check the max weight in the yak. a boat is probably more suitable?
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Piscateur wrote:How do you fall out that many times in relatively calm conditions. IF they used water as ballast then it would be unstable, but I'm inexperienced at best but cant see how you roll that easy unless he was over the capacity of that yak as well.
Good work none the less Rhino. Hopefully something got through and they stay off the stats.

if he'd filled the hull like he said then rolling that much would be simple, it makes a kayak ridiculously unstable(from experience, and no i didn't flood it by choice :wtf: ) and is a fun way to practice reentries if you've got someone to watch over you. Bloody hard to get back into a flooded yak. and then keep it upright in any sort of waves. Good job as always Daz.
Paps
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Heritage Featherlite 9.5

Post by Paps »

I'm speechless...

That was absolute madness.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Faaaaaark If i hadn't known any better, i would of thought they were just messing around, i've never witnessed such unco-ordinated kayakers in my 8yrs of kayak fishing.
Just boggles my mind that these idiots are out there and your spot on Daz, WILL bring the sport down.
Lets hope they learnt a lesson and maybe they take on your advice about safety gear and basic watercraft, but somehow i don't think they will.
Great work mate.
Bilbz
Bill 0409139460
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Well done as ever Daz.

I was talking to a colleague who sea kayaks about this video today. He mentioned that there is actually a legal exemption that allows kayaks etc to not be wearing a pfd if "engaged in Formal Training or Competition on inland waters..... are exempt from the carriage of safety equipment requirements specified in
Regulation 230."

I looked it up, it's found in clause 3 of the following link:
http://www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au/_ ... mption.pdf

I'm not suggesting these guys were exempt in any way but it does seem to suggest that pfd's are not required during a competition or formal training (and PPB/WP are not inland waters). This would seem to apply to Canoeing Australia or surf ski club style formal training along with competitive races. In terms of our sport I would strongly suggest this exemption be totally ignored. I'd hate to see someone turning up to a kayak fishing comp claiming they didn't have to wear a PFD!
0408 565 763
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Thanks for the link and info regarding the clause Shane, something I had missed and knew nothing about. Some strong criteria to be met, so you do not have to wear a PFD. Doubt the kayak fishing community will ever reach those requirements, specially in the near future.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Wannabe Fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Wannabe Fisherman »

So which one of these guys was the instructor? lol
I was out that day n seen em from a distance and thought they were piss-farting around.
http://www.youtube.com/KayakFishingVids - Currently a work in progress
Ph. 0425 86 30 67
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Wannabe Fisherman wrote:So which one of these guys was the instructor? lol
I was out that day n seen em from a distance and thought they were piss-farting around.
You can be seen standing up in the background. :up: