Outback with sail

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Outback with sail

Post by Wind Waker »

I have searched and read of others that have done it. What I haven't noticed was a speed report. Give the right conditions with some pedalling do you feel a speed of 5 or 6 km an hour is achievable? I can get that and more out of my outback now and can sustain around 4 without much effort.
I am planning some other trips and am thinking the sail might give me some more range particularly if the wind kicks up and I have to battle the wind coming in i.e. tacking into the wind with a sail should be easier then just punching nose first into it with peddle only.

Thoughts or comments please?
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: Outback with sail

Post by happyas »

Re sailing a plastic yak, PM to cheater would be a go. I have watched him sailing his yellow yak (kingfisher?) in Cleeland bight. I don't know if you would require a dagger board to tack into the wind, but it would certainly help.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Wind Waker wrote:I have searched and read of others that have done it. What I haven't noticed was a speed report. Give the right conditions with some pedalling do you feel a speed of 5 or 6 km an hour is achievable? I can get that and more out of my outback now and can sustain around 4 without much effort.
I am planning some other trips and am thinking the sail might give me some more range particularly if the wind kicks up and I have to battle the wind coming in i.e. tacking into the wind with a sail should be easier then just punching nose first into it with peddle only.

not sure what sort of speed you would get from the outback but it's catch 22 more wind means more waves and the outback get slow and slappy in waves

as Larry pointed out I use to have a sail on my Kingfisher down wind on a breezy day I recorded 11.2 kph on the GPS and could sail on a reach but to windward was pretty slow going

first sail report http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8879

this was with a Vee sail and the kingy really needed a lee board to sail to windward
I could put the paddle in the water acting as the lee board and yes it would sail to windward maybe 45 deg on the wind but fairly slow
the sail was only about a meter sq

on a broad reach my guess it would do around 6 - 7 kph with a good 10 knot wind a bit like a firm paddle speed for the Kingy

I think the sail is a good idea but there do take up room and get in the way a bit if fishing

I started on a new sail a while back for my prowler it is a balanced trianglar sail like a lanteen but with no bad side - one day I'll finish it
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Wind Waker wrote:I have searched and read of others that have done it. What I haven't noticed was a speed report. Give the right conditions with some pedalling do you feel a speed of 5 or 6 km an hour is achievable? I can get that and more out of my outback now and can sustain around 4 without much effort.

I don't think you will get more than 5 kph in a wind that would be suitable or comfortable to be out in, the best I got out of the Oasis with the Hobie sail kit was 5 kph and that's a faster kayak than an outback.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

shane wrote:I pulled the Windpaddle sail out of the hull and fitted it to my shackles just before the front hatch. The trip back was a big change from the trip up where I was often down to just 1km/h into the tide, wind and waves. With just the little sail I was able to move the PA along over 7 km/h on the gusts and around 10km/h with some pedaling. It's no AI but was still a lot of fun to do a bit of sailing for a change. :D
The windpaddle sail is a lot smaller than a hobie sail and only good for downwind but is compact enough to keep in the hull until its wanted. This was also in wind that would generally be above comfortable and only downwind.
0408 565 763
Robeld
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Revo 13,Avoncraft tandem Tourer,Viking Pacer

Post by Robeld »

Just started using the large wind paddle with my revo 13, connected just before the front hatch. In light wind of 5-10 kph I get 3 to 5 kph and have had it up to 10+ in 30 kph winds before I lost my nerve. Even though you cannot sail upwind, I have successfully sailed with the wind at about 80 degrees on the beam.
As Shane said, it's advantage is that it is compact and easy to rig and sail..
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

Hi there,

For what it's worth, my previous 'yak' was an Outback, suitably fitted out, with Hobie sail, to which I also added the Amas, (outriggers), to provide extra stability and piece of mind. This system worked well as there is sufficient adjustment on the Amas to suit most situations. I am not a sailer, however I really enjoyed the experience on Andersons Inlet, (Inverloch), and now use the sail on my PA 12. Remember to use the Mirage Drive in their vertical position, to act as a "dagger board".

Cheers,

'The Pog' :thumbsup:
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Sail added. Now just gotta choose a day when the weather is better for sailing than fishing to take it out for first crack.
Thanks to everyone for the input.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Wind Waker wrote:Sail added. Now just gotta choose a day when the weather is better for sailing than fishing to take it out for first crack.
Interested to see how you go, I got a hobie sail with my adventure. Not sure I would attempt it with rods etc as sail rope would foul any rods etc. maybe a minimum stashed set up. The adventure has a slot for a hobie dagger board
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Wind Waker wrote:Sail added. Now just gotta choose a day when the weather is better for sailing than fishing to take it out for first crack.
I've got a sail kit for the outback too. It's been gathering dust over at Muzz's place. I'll go pick it up and we can organise a sail. :thumbsup:
photo 3.JPG