Yakdoc kayak repairs

Have a business? Heres the place for you. Read Commercial Policy inside for more details.
Somewhere 'Offshore'
Survivor
kayak: 2015 Adventure Island

Re: Yakdoc kayak repairs

Post by Somewhere 'Offshore' »

+1 :lol:
The tug is the drug~

Somewhere 'Offshore' - the only place I don't hear the voices
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

MrTall wrote:Shoulda made the front bit black, would have looked like a banana.
I did that with Fishophils kayak, we call it snoopy, just needs some eyes and ears lol

snoopy.JPG
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Need some work on Jaws Yacdoc.Babylon
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Babylon wrote:Need some work on Jaws Yacdoc.Babylon
Pm me Jim and we'll get it organised.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

this is the centre piece of a 3 piece kayak, it was strapped on the roof rack of the owners 4x4 when he went bush, the fourby dropped into a wheel rut and the yak was smacked by a gumtree breaking off a large section of the hull, luckily in one piece.

You can see it was a sizeable chunk and not wanting to pay over $500.00 dollars for a new hull piece the owner contacted me. (I love a challenge :thumbsup: )
damage.jpg
Setting up with a donor piece of the same colour and more importantly same type of plastic to cut up into welding rods, I use a wax and grease remover solvent to clean the repair site and welding rods. just like a real operation the site must be clean and I have to wash my hands often as skin oil will make a section of weld not fuse with the repair.
setting up.jpg
broken piece back in place and a test weld was done to confirm plastic compatability, weld looks good and cant be pulled off by hand, if it was incompatable it would almost fall off.
test weld.jpg
Started tacking with the soldering iron
tacking.jpg
Broken section was v ed out bit by bit and welded back on, this took lots of welding.
welded section.jpg
side view of the repaired kayak
finished side.jpg
Repair completed, leak tested and approved, customer has been using this for months now and is very happy
finished.jpg
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Awesome work
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

choppers wrote:Awesome work
Thanks choppers, I'm fairly confident to repair just about anything plastic, though I did have to pronounce a brand new kayak dead the other day at a shop, it was covered in thin plastic spots underneath that popped when you touched them with a car key, no way was I going to repair that as there more than likely was internal damage I couldn't see, It will be chopped up.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

My latest plastic kayak repair, I think also one of the nicest I have completed to date.

This kayak had the rudder and stern bitten of by a garage door that slammed shut in a gale, turn your speakers on and take a look if you like, feedback always welcome :thumbsup:

beeaye
The force is strong in this one
kayak: PA 14

Post by beeaye »

Only feedback I can offer is you do some great work - very professional

BA
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

beeaye wrote:Only feedback I can offer is you do some great work - very professional

BA
Thankyou BA.

Just letting everyone know I have spent the afternoon updating the yakdoc (not yakak as Maverick pointed out lol) website, its much more mobile phone friendly now with links to the wily weather, the Mornington yacht club cams and a host of other interesting places like yakdoc pinterest site.

take a look, try it out and please let me know if there are any problems or spulling mustikes :thumbsup: