New Livewell rules for 2017

Australian Bream Fishing competition talk here!
misterpb59
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA14

New Livewell rules for 2017

Post by misterpb59 »

There are new Live well rules for 2017 . No Livewells under 23 litres and all Livewells must have a Battery powered pump fitted (intake water). Looks like i will have to do some major work before Marlo next Month.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: New Livewell rules for 2017

Post by Hvalross »

misterpb59 wrote:There are new Live well rules for 2017 . No Livewells under 23 litres and all Livewells must have a Battery powered pump fitted (intake water). Looks like i will have to do some major work before Marlo next Month.
Hobie boosting its own LIVEWELL sales( they just happen to be 8 US gallons and sport a battery operated pump....and cost $400+) assisted by a friendly ABT????
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Read it better it must have a pump does not have to be battery powered :evilgrin:
The comma is the key.
Last edited by bjspinner on 24 Dec 2016, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

[quote="misterpb59"]There are new Live well rules for 2017 . No Livewells under 23 litres and all Livewells must have a Battery powered pump fitted (intake water). .[/quoteř]

Seems preety clear to me............I see no comma ?????

And anyway Yak pump operating on mains is going to be bloody risky, not to mention range challenged :lol:
Last edited by Hvalross on 23 Dec 2016, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The rules are here:
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/bream/bream-rules/
This is the relevant clause:
"Livewells shall have a minimum capacity of 23L with a functioning, battery operated, intake pump. Livewells smaller than 23L in capacity will result in disqualification."

Seems pretty clear to me that the pump must be battery operated. I presume this is for fish health as manually operated pumps may not be operated often enough to maintain optimum health. There's a few mods around to convert a manual to electric setup here's pretty good one:
http://www.indepthangler.com.au/diy/diy ... p-upgrade/
0408 565 763
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

shane wrote:The rules are here:
"Livewells shall have a minimum capacity of 23L with a functioning, battery operated, intake pump. Livewells smaller than 23L in capacity will result in disqualification."

Seems pretty clear to me that the pump must be battery operated. I presume this is for fish health as manually operated pumps may not be operated often enough to maintain optimum health. There's a few mods around to convert a manual to electric setup here's pretty good one:
The boat based bream comps seem to demand around 70lt.......those Hobie kayak livewells are going to bring a response from animal rights soon, they are too small for bream regardless of the volume throughput of fresh aerated water.

In fact game livewells have high volume feed, circulation AND aeration......and thats just to hold yakkers humanely!!!!!!

Cant see how decent size LIVIE even can be kept in Hobie livewells without inflicting lip and jaw damage to slimies or yakkers...its just NOT ON.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

Hvalross wrote:

The boat based bream comps seem to demand around 70lt.......those Hobie kayak livewells are going to bring a response from animal rights soon, they are too small for bream regardless of the volume throughput of fresh aerated water.

In fact game livewells have high volume feed, circulation AND aeration......and thats just to hold yakkers humanely!!!!!!

Cant see how decent size LIVIE even can be kept in Hobie livewells without inflicting lip and jaw damage to slimies or yakkers...its just NOT ON.
Boat comp are different as they allow more fish in the live well, most of the Hobie ABT comps are 3 fish only.
After being on a few and seeing people hand fill Esky setups with the warmer weather fish were not swimming away. The live wells are not automatic so it is still upon the angler to switch on the pump.

There are a lot of guys running the hand pump setups from SLH to a 42L esky, I would be very surprised if these do not comply.

I believe it reads " functioning,battery operated, intake pump" as long as the hand pump is functioning it should be ok.
Surely your not suggesting Hobie are trying to make us all use their expensive livewells :evilgrin:

My setup is battery and on a timer but rarely does the timer get used.

A comma is a punctuation mark that indicates a pause in a sentence or separates items in a list. A comma is also used before the words "and" or "but" to join two independent clauses. Commas come in handy when you're writing a grocery list: "Buy candy, chocolate milk, Pop Tarts, and gum."
Mobile 0418991898
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

bjspinner wrote:
Hvalross wrote:

Boat comp are different as they allow more fish in the live well, most of the Hobie ABT comps are 3 fish only.
After being on a few and seeing people hand fill Esky setups with the warmer weather fish were not swimming away. The live wells are not automatic so it is still upon the angler to switch on the pump.

There are a lot of guys running the hand pump setups from SLH to a 42L esky, I would be very surprised if these do not comply.

I believe it reads " functioning,battery operated, intake pump" as long as the hand pump is functioning it should be ok.
Surely your not suggesting Hobie are trying to make us all use their expensive livewells :evilgrin:

My setup is battery and on a timer but rarely does the timer get used.

A comma is a punctuation mark that indicates a pause in a sentence or separates items in a list. A comma is also used before the words "and" or "but" to join two independent clauses. Commas come in handy when you're writing a grocery list: "Buy candy, chocolate milk, Pop Tarts, and gum."

I am suggesting that I believe that Hobie will be happy to benefit from such a rule at $400 + a timely ....yes. I am also saying emphatically that this size of livewell is not big enough for bream. Aquarists use 1 gallon : 1" of fish as a guide, or did before higher densities and availability of replacments improvd, and a decent bream will in my opiion render evn that inadequate

Hauling bream around in such a small volume of water, then spending ages standing around to weigh them is cruel. Folks go to smashing down barbs to avoid unnecesary damage to catch and release fish , oxygen stressing fish just for a commercial spectacle to promote Hobie adds fuel to my belief that Hobie would be looking for additional sales from this rule change, AND the ABT are willing partners in that. If fish wefare.is the aim, change the weigh rule to immediate release....
That will not happen because the weigh in ceremony is an integral part of what is essentially commercial product promotion.

As to the comma cant see one on the OP's quoted text above in his original post :D
bjspinner
Lord of the fish

Post by bjspinner »

As I suggested to Peter read the rules, In the phrase he choose to add to his post was without the original punctuation which changes the comment.

Like your signature at the bottom "if all else fails read the instructions" all in jest :lol:
Mobile 0418991898
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

bjspinner wrote:As I suggested to Peter read the rules, In the phrase he choose to add to his post was without the original punctuation which changes the comment.

Like your signature at the bottom "if all else fails read the instructions" all in jest :lol:
Now thats misapplying my tennant :yahoo: BUT how in your opinion has he changed the intent of the rule? Hobie and the ABT are at pains to.be seen as caring citizens....then allow, encourage, and , by rule, mistreat :laughing1: