Dirt Fishing/ gold Detecting

Completely off topic!
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Dirt Fishing/ gold Detecting

Post by Widsa »

So I haven't put a report up on here for a LONG time.
I thought I had better post something, and I am interested to see if we have any fellow gold diggers here on VYAK?

Over the lockdown last year I worked a lot on getting my Hilux (bush basher/ glamper) set up.
Being fed up with my old adage "if it doesn't fit in your pack it aint coming" with you attitude I had decided to go completely the other way.
No longer am I sleeping on a Thermarest inside a Gortex bivy, eating and drinking out of a cups Canteen inherited from my old army days!
I am officially a glamper now and living in luxury. :shifty:

Pretty happy with my setup now:
Awning tent, stretcher bed with thick blow up mattress, nice lighting all round, fridge/freezer, 140amp deepcycle and solar on the roof.
I also went the route of the Ctek 250SE with smartpass so I can recharge quickly at 20 amps when on the road.
I have everything I need in the draws and some extras I dont need (coffee machine). :oops:

I built up an awesome Ebike to go on the back so I can explore the bush and get me to detecting spots quicker.
I like to call this dirt fishing, it can be a long time between fish (nuggets) but they are exciting and rewarding when you find a few.
I still get out in my stinker when the weather is good so I am not out of the game yet, and you are still not safe Cheater!
I've also been doing a few deer hunts here and there and harvesting fresh venison. :thumbsup:

Anyways, thought I would hare the setup, i'm pretty happy with it.
Cheers!
setup.jpg
setup front.jpg
scenery.jpg
rocket stove.jpg
nighttime.jpg
fire.jpg
car side.jpg
car back.jpg
bit of gold.jpg
bike back.jpg
bbq setup.jpg
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Re: Dirt Fishing/ gold Detecting

Post by erik the viking »

Now that is a good looking set up. :thumbsup:
And, a few more of those things in the palm of your hand, might go some way to pay for the Hilux mods? :yahoo:
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Just like fishing without the smell or bait, great post Will.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

erik the viking wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 17:52 Now that is a good looking set up. :thumbsup:
And, a few more of those things in the palm of your hand, might go some way to pay for the Hilux mods? :yahoo:
Thanks Erik,
Yep that's the plan, trying to find the retirement nugget!
So far my best is right on one ounce which is an awesome find and was a very happy day.
Last trip yielded enough nuggets to cover the fuel, beers and food so you got to be happy with that.
It is hard yards but nice to be out and about in the bush.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

maverick wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 19:52 Just like fishing without the smell or bait, great post Will.
Thanks Pete.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Nice set up Will, good to have some creature comforts, gather you use a metal detector, have an old friend that is retired and has a setup like yours, hangs around in the high country using the detector along the creek/river beds, and seems to be making some serious coin, though he might have gold fever as l haven't heard from him for quiet some time, or it just might be the Chinese fever :evilgrin: .
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

One of the things I did some research on before we went away was prospecting.....unfortunately I did not find out enough to confidently buy a detector so that was as far as we got. Would love to know more.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Nice setup will, I used to prospect up around central Vic when I was younger with my family and was looking to get back into it a few years back but chose to invest in kayak fishing instead :shhh: I watched a program on tv and the guy said that you can make enough to pay for your setup just collecting loot on busy beaches so maybe it might become another thing I can do on those days I cant get on the water. good luck on that retirement nugget :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

Thanks guys,

I use a Minelab GPX5000 at the moment and seriously thinking about getting a GPZ 7000
Happy to report I have definitely paid my machine off now with the nuggets I have found! :yahoo:

It takes some getting used to, luckily I had a friend who was into detecting and he advised me not to buy a cheap detector.
He was right as in the highly mineralised soils we have, the cheap detectors really struggle and you would probably spend most of the day digging "hot rocks".
If you are serious it is much better to hire or buy a high end unit and it will yield returns with work and time put in.
I am probably up at around 4 ounces found now which I am pretty happy with, the price of gold is holding up well also.
If you get bored of the hobby the top end detectors hold their values very well so you wont lose much on the resale.

Finding 1 gram nuggets is not uncommon at all and that is like pulling $80 bucks out of the ground.
But, if it was easy everyone would be doing it!

I have heard that beach detecting can be good value also, but I have not tried it yet.
I would feel a bit sad finding others lost jewelry, wedding rings etc.
I like being out in the bush, its good fun and super exciting when you have a good signal in ground that you know has not been disturbed in millions of years. gets the adrenalin going every time!

Tight lines and shiny rocks all. :thumbsup:
Widsa.
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

spider25160 wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 18:58 One of the things I did some research on before we went away was prospecting.....unfortunately I did not find out enough to confidently buy a detector so that was as far as we got. Would love to know more.
G'day David,
I would suggest you hire a good detector to try it out first.
GPX 5000 or GPZ 7000 or an SDC 2300 are all the leaders in the field.
I have tried bush bashing and going well off the beaten path to find new gold patches.
I have found nearly all my gold right next to or within the old timers workings.
They knew where it was, do your research and find where the old diggings are in the area you want to go and head straight there is my advise.
Lots of good Youtube videos from Aussie gold detectorist that show how it is done and how to set up your machine.
the other 90% is luck and hard work checking around every tree and under all the rocks!
Widsa.