Total noob says hello

New? Say G'Day here!
Fishbee
kayak: Fishing kayak

Total noob says hello

Post by Fishbee »

As title says. :wave1:
Here's my story.

We went to wodonga for a holiday, we saw an ad for murray river kayak adventure, signed myself and my 3 boys on for a 1.5 hr session on the murray.
Rented 2 double yaks and the owner took us upstream and when i thought that the owner would come in the water as a guide......he just told me to follow the river back to the ramp after asking us whether we can swim or not???
This was my first time on a yak!.. after going around all over the place, me and my 8 yo boy finally managed to sync our paddling.. :yahoo: and off we go.

Long story short..we overtook all in the groups and caught up with my 2 other boys on their yak. Just that, on the last bend before the ramp they got caught in the tree and took a drink....they couldn't turn their yak over and i was far away to be of any assistance. We were lucky that someone swam over and help the boys to turn their yak upright and help them climb back on....what a hero!

Looking back to the experience... if we weren't a little panicky, we should've push the yak onto the banks and turn it upright there...

That was 2 weeks ago and now I'm waiting for my first yak to be delivered :o

Already watched so many vids on yaks and safety, found this forum whilst browsing, signed up today and now just waiting on trying it out for real. :mrgreen: hopefully soon!

Thanks for reading my long story
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Total noob says hello

Post by Seasherpa »

Welcome aboard, lots of good info in the safety section of the forum to get you started. Where are you hoping to do your fishing?
Fishbee

Post by Fishbee »

Thanks sherpa.. iam going to try some lakes first.. get use to the yak and all fishing gears etc. Practice some rolling and re entry and maybe try the bay on a good day with mates once i got more confident.
I am going to take it slow and steady :)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Fishbee wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 07:44 Thanks sherpa.. iam going to try some lakes first.. get use to the yak and all fishing gears etc. Practice some rolling and re entry and maybe try the bay on a good day with mates once i got more confident.
I am going to take it slow and steady :)
Welcome and that sounds like a great plan. Remember there is a great search function on this forum, so I am sure there will be plenty of questions previously answered on gear, safety, technique and locations.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Sport, Revo 13

Post by bruyaka »

Hey there pal , welcome :up: .
Glad you r still keen after an awful sounding introduction . :wtf: . That sounds like a highly irresponsible way to run a business that certainly involves risk . Lots of good advice and info to be found here ... Enjoy
Fishbee

Post by Fishbee »

Thanks bruyaka and Mavericks.
Yes, definitely I'm going to trawl a lot of the topics here whilst waiting for the yak.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

Welcome to the forum mate. Taking an unexpected dip in the murray out of your yak wouldn't be a pleasant experience for anyone. Good luck for your future adventures.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Wow, glad that experience didn’t put you off.
Welcome :wave: to Vyak, I’m sure you’ll find heaps of good stuff here :up:
John 3.16/17
Fishbee

Post by Fishbee »

Thanks yako and galey.
Yes I was surprised myself.. didn't realize how easy it was to tip over.. just a combo of over hanging tree and fast current.
I suppose it was similar to falling off a bike experience... just have to get up and try not to fall off again :D