New Member from Bayside Area

New? Say G'Day here!
craigcole10
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Stealth Profisha 475

New Member from Bayside Area

Post by craigcole10 »

Hey guys,

Thought I'd say hello. I bought a Feelfree Moken 12.5 back in September last year as my first kayak and really enjoying it. I've spent many hours to date reading the posts in vyak when researching and found a lot of good info to set up for safe kayaking. I've also been on the course set up by east coast kayaking so feel pretty comfortable in the water if the weather turned.

Anyway, Ive mainly been fishing between Mordialloc and Ricketts and was wondering if they are many of you guys around that area.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: New Member from Bayside Area

Post by peatop »

Hi Craig an welcome there are a few around that area and a few that fish that general area, most of us travel and some extensively from one end of the state to the other and also interstate on pre arranged trips chasing dream fish, but you dont need to travel far to enjoy our local waters or join in some of the trips posted in the fishing trip section or post your own trip for others to join, post in trip reports even if you don't land anything as we are all interested in reading about what's happening in any area, apart from that enjoy yourself and have fun :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Welcome Craig. Sounds like you've taken a smart route into the sport so far. :up:

There would be plenty of people fishing from yaks around your area on a good day. Unfortunately the peak action for the area is in snapper season, so several months away yet. Stilll there are plenty of decent flatties, pinkies, squid and whiting around for now.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Welcome Craig, I am not sure if you will fit in here, you seem to have done research, completed a safety course and are asking reaosnable questions :lol:

The beauty about yak fishing is that a lot of it is not planned, just last minute opportunities based on weather. But please post up if you are heading out, as many others will be lurking in the shadows, looking for a chance to fish with someone else even if they don't post.

Safe fishing. :thumbsup:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
rambocambo
kayak: Outback '18, '20

Post by rambocambo »

Hi Craig!

I live close to the area but never tried yaking at mordialloc. What do you catch there? I saw in a post a few weeks ago that you can get kgw at parkdale, wonder if thats true and if the numbers are like coronet bay/reef island!? I've been to ricketts a number of times but its mostly a miss for me, plauged with micro pinkies for about 30 mins on sunrise - and the occasional squid.

cheears :thumbsup:
Sam
craigcole10
kayak: Stealth Profisha 475

Post by craigcole10 »

maverick wrote:Welcome Craig, I am not sure if you will fit in here, you seem to have done research, completed a safety course and are asking reaosnable questions :lol:
I do have a question that got asked last week so i was going set up a new thread to get answers. Will this make me fit in? :lol:

With regards to Mordi/Ricketts, I caught the tale end of snapper season around there as I was easing into kayak fishing so didn't venture too far out but did see a few people get some good catches. Recently it's been pretty quiet with undersized pinkies/flatties but have heard of whiting in the area. Most of my success has been around the Beaumaris end with good size pinkies/flatties and caught a snook last saturday. Hoping for the squid to fire up around Beaumaris marina soon.

I do intend to get around to other places soon but will probably wait until next summer for WP area. Would prefer to get a bit more experience before heading down that way.
loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Post by loboloco »

Welcome!!!

Cheers
Loboloco
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

craigcole10 wrote:
maverick wrote:Welcome Craig, I am not sure if you will fit in here, you seem to have done research, completed a safety course and are asking reaosnable questions :lol:
I do have a question that got asked last week so i was going set up a new thread to get answers. Will this make me fit in? :lol:
You may very well get fit however not so sure about you wallet and bank balance :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm