Complete newbie checking in

New? Say G'Day here!
razzo_13
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Complete newbie checking in

Post by razzo_13 »

Hi guys,

I've been living bayside for a couple of years now and only got into fishing in the last 12-18 months.
On my travels I've seen more and more people fishing on kayaks and it looks like a great way to enjoy the outdoors.
As you all are aware though, it's all very daunting looking at the different kayaks on offer and all the accessories and trying to pick the right one.
I've been lurking here for a little while and have finally taken the plunge and create an account to help me not onlypurchase a kayak and get out on the water, but to do it safely and enjoyably.
And apologies for the potentially annoying questions in advance, like the title says, I'm a a novice and any advice is appreciated :up:

Cheers,
Dom
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: Complete newbie checking in

Post by happyas »

Hi Dom, enjoy the forum and please read all the safety stuff. What were you looking at yak wise. There is plenty of info regarding different types, construction etc. Plenty of reading and thinking for you.
razzo_13

Post by razzo_13 »

Thanks happyas

I definitely have quite a bit of reading to do. I'll probably be pretty unsociable on my lunch breaks for a little while now.

I've taken a liking to the wavedance kingfisher that mazman has for sale on here. He's pointed me in the direction of some more reading on here about that kayak and it fits the budget.
Need the approval from the better half first though haha.

Cheers,
Dom
Widsa
Site Admin

Post by Widsa »

Welcome aboard Dom.
There are no stupid questions mate and I am sure you will find the crew here friendly and more than happy to offer advice.
Enjoy your stay and tight lines. :thumbsup:
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
razzo_13

Post by razzo_13 »

Thanks widsa.
Really looking forward to starting my journey
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Welcome Dom,
I was a complete newbie and did a beginner kayak fishing course with east coast kayak in Sandringham. (Also known as The Kayak Shop)
It is a one day course and they show you through the kayaks, paddle techniques equipment safety etc.
There were 12 on the course I did and 8 of them were from Vyak.
Turned out that one of thosee 8 had organised the course and got participants via this forum.
Those 8 guys told me about Vyak and I haven't looked back.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12921&hilit=east+coast+kayak

I ended buying a yak off a forum member several months later, have been on several trips with Vyak members

The wave dance kingfisher, Mazmans is selling is already fitted out and comes with the equipment you would need to get started.
Lots of us upgrade so good deals on 2nd hand yaks are often in the classifieds section.
razzo_13

Post by razzo_13 »

Thanks Jacko

That course sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely have to look into it.

Cheers,
Dom
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

razzo_13 wrote:Thanks Jacko

That course sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely have to look into it.

Cheers,
Dom
If you cant find a course im sure the guys on here could arrange one but don't forget your seat cushion and life vest as the drop from the chopper is a rough one :lol:
Jokes aside, you've made the first right choices in joining and safety :thumbsup: as you go along you will have the want to join in on trips people are arranging some easy some not so easy so it is important to understand yourself, your kayak, the conditions and the area. So read up if you have questions just ask as there are no stupid questions, and most importantly enjoy yourself :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Welcome Dom :wave1:
Please ask questions & as mentioned before search past threads. Tons of info on here :up:
John 3.16/17
loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Post by loboloco »

Welcome!!!!

Cheers
Loboloco