Another newbie!

New? Say G'Day here!
Hardyakn
kayak: Nextgen 10

Another newbie!

Post by Hardyakn »

G'day everyone,

I'm Ewen, and I'm a complete newb to both kayaking and salt water fishing.
I've just recently purchased what I think was the best value for money yak that I could afford (hobbies ect are worth more than my car) I ended up with a Nextgen 10 from an internet vendor. It's not the greatest but it gets me out on the water so I'll make do for the time being . It has the elevated seat, retractable rudder, and track system as standard. I've been slowly collecting bits and pieces anchor and trolley making leashes ect ect .

I took it out for the first time last week and landed a small salmon on a gold lure ( my first fish on a lure- in a yak and with new rod)

Previously I'd only every fished the Murray and Eildon other than taking the kids to the peir once or twice ..

I'm based in blindbight but the old man is in Rawson so I'll be hitting Blue Rock as the weather gets better .

I'll be asking questions along the way especially regarding lures and rod/reel types as I have no idea.

I'm always up for an adventure so if anyone is planning one and might suit me please hit me up ..

Cheers E..
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Re: Another newbie!

Post by Galey »

Well done mate. Check out the safety section, you only get one life and get into it.
Hardyakn
kayak: Nextgen 10

Post by Hardyakn »

Already on it galey .. pdf, flag, flares, and I have a handheld VHF if I do venture out of the estries ... Only thing I need is sutible thermals and some winter gear that won't drag me down..
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Welcome aboard mate, congratts on the Sambo.
Tight lines and enjoy you stay.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Welcome. Great place to be and we have many members with a wealth of knowledge who are also willing to share.

Regarding the safety, most (if not all) advocate that you practice re-entries. That is, you are able to get back on your kayak should you capsize. There is nothing worse than being faced with having to get back onto your kayak for the first time after you unintentionally fall off and all that's going through your head is how much stuff you've just lost.

1. Watch several videos of how to safely get back into your kayak. every kayak as different stability which will depict how you can get back in.
2. Go out, ideally with someone, and practice with an empty kayak.
3. First capsize in the shallows where you can touch the bottom,
4. Then progress to a depth just too deep to touch the bottom - so if you aren't able to get back in the shallows aren't far.

The weather isnt ideal for this right now, but its not as bad as finding out for the first time when you are a fair distance from shallows.

Ensure you do this fully clothed and with your PFD on as your motion will be limited

o ye, and tight lines ;)
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you want any advice on blind bight , warneet or tooradin areas there a few of us who know those areas quite well
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:If you want any advice on blind bight , warneet or tooradin areas there a few of us who know those areas quite well
Welcome Ewen

as above !
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Welcome!

As you've identified those little yaks aren't the greatest but as long as you're aware of the limitations and stay within them you'll have a blast.

It's a lot easier to justify/harder to resist dumping a truckload of cash on an awesome kayak with all the bells and whistles if you already know you enjoy the sport.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Welcome Ewen :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm