Hi All

New? Say G'Day here!
benc120382
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 4.3

Hi All

Post by benc120382 »

Hi everyone I’m Ben from sunshine I am a keen angler and experienced white water kayaker but new to Kayak fishing. I love the site there is some great information for new guys to the sport like myself.
I picked up my kayak today and can’t wait to get out there tomorrow I might see some of you guys out there as the weather forecast looks great. :thumbsup:
Attachments
First kayak
First kayak
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Hi All

Post by Tim399 »

Welcome aboard Ben, that yak looks like it will move along in the water nicely! what areas are you most likely to fish?
There is a good wealth of information and plenty of great folk on vyak, enjoy your stay and be sure to check out the safety section, launch spots for info and fishing trips for outings to tag along on or organise your own trip :up:
benc120382

Post by benc120382 »

Tim399 wrote:Welcome aboard Ben, that yak looks like it will move along in the water nicely! what areas are you most likely to fish?
There is a good wealth of information and plenty of great folk on vyak, enjoy your stay and be sure to check out the safety section, launch spots for info and fishing trips for outings to tag along on or organise your own trip :up:
Thanks for the welcome Tim, I will mostly be fishing the Altona Hobson bay to start off with as it is close to home.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Welcome Ben, your not far from Hobson's bay. I'll see you out there some time
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Welcome Ben.
How tippy is that yak, the seat makes it look like you sit higher.
Try do some runs without gear to see stability, tippyness & re-entries.
The length is good & from what I can see doesn’t look too wide so hopefully will cut through the water more easily.
John 3.16/17
benc120382

Post by benc120382 »

Yako wrote:Welcome Ben.
The length is good & from what I can see doesn’t look too wide so hopefully will cut through the water more easily.
I took Kayak out on Sunday morning in perfect conditions off Altona and managed to end up in the drink as the raised seat does make it quite tippy and re-entrie was not a problem I found pretty easy I managed a few fish and had a great day. I have since changed the seat to a standard seat which should help a lot.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

benc120382 wrote:
Yako wrote:Welcome Ben.
I took Kayak out on Sunday morning in perfect conditions off Altona and managed to end up in the drink as the raised seat does make it quite tippy and re-entrie was not a problem I found pretty easy I managed a few fish and had a great day. I have since changed the seat to a standard seat which should help a lot.
Is the seat adjustable? My previous yak had a similar setup but an adjustable seat, i never had it in the raised position as i felt it was to far above the waterline. I now have a PA which also has an adjustable seat however the PA being a boat i only put the seat in the lower position in rougher conditions
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

So being an experienced white water kayaker I'd imagine put you in a good position to handle a bit of chop in the bay.
benc120382

Post by benc120382 »

vicyak wrote:So being an experienced white water kayaker I'd imagine put you in a good position to handle a bit of chop in the bay.
I guess so. I feel very comfortable with paddle in hand but when the paddle goes down and is swapped out for a fishing rod that’s where things change a bit.
winchbitch
Lord of the fish
kayak: wavedancer kingfisher

Post by winchbitch »

Hi Ben, I have the same yak right down to the colour, I never bothered with the armchair seat. They are a very stable and reasonably fast yak for not a lot of money ,could do with a better rudder but you will enjoypaddeling and fishing out of it.