Storage solution

Show off your DIY project!
twavvy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Perception Swing

Storage solution

Post by twavvy »

Well, I've had the both mine and Dad's kayaks sitting in my garage for a while now, as it's more convenient to take them out from there rather than drive to Coronet Bay (1 hour) then to Mornington (45 minutes), when it is only 35-40 minutes to Mornington from my house. Although this has been great (Fished 4 weekends in a row until this weekend), it has caused 2 problems: My garage was filling up and had not much room to move, and Glen was at Coronet Bay this weekend without a kayak and unhappy about it. I can't help Glen, but while I'm not out on the water I had some spare time to fix the space issue. Here is what I came up with:

Basically I went down to Bunnings, bought 50m of rope, 4 pulleys, 2 D shackles and some aluminium marine grade attachments to put the rope through from the wood. I got the wood from off cuts from previous renovations to our house. I drilled holes up each end of the pieces of wood (Cut to about 32cm long). Initially I also had some 250mm bolts to go through the wood, through the scupper holes and into another piece of wood below the kayak. This only worked at one end (It was too deep at the other end with the footwell etc) and would take too long to put on each time. I just made up a couple of loops of rope and now thread them through the scupper holes, up and through the pieces of wood then loop them back around.

All I have to do to get it off the ground now is pull on a couple of pieces of rope, then tie them off to the side of the garage. It not only keeps the kayak out of the way, but I can store paddles, PFD's etc on top. Total cost was about $67 for the materials from Bunnings.
Trav
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Re: Storage solution

Post by cruiser »

Now thats useing the old nut ,well done mate

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759