The new SOT project

Show off your DIY project!
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Jem Southwind (built)

The new SOT project

Post by Tormentor »

This is the next beasty and it'll be pimped to the max...

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Sabalo
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: The new SOT project

Post by maverick »

I might just be interested in building a sister ship Tor, a good winter project. Looks nice and plenty of room for pimping - BUT, how can we test paddle one - it is a lot of effort if it isn't a good paddling yak.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

also how does it compare to your current woody? size, weight, balance, cost and paddleability?
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Geez Pete thats some personal questions
about his woody :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Tormentor »

Mav,

I've completed 2 designs from this website 1 is an associates design (and the plans are free) and the one I bring fishing the Southwind. I'm also halfway through another design, a 14' Sasquatch canoe.

I've paddled a friends 16' Sasquatch and it was a pleasure to paddle.

I have a lot of faith in the designs and there are some genuine folks on the forum to help with advice.

the hull design might be a little skinnier than my yak, similar length, spec is 25kg which is 3kg heavier than mine, but I have found that fishing can get the inside of my yak a bit grubby (not pretty in the photo's :oops: :D ) I'll ask the designer about the beam at water line of my current yak and should be able to guesstimate the stability, apparently I am renowned for sitting a little higher than most so at the moment I'm not too worried about an ultra stable boat. My mates Malibu yak is way more stable than mine (tested by standing in/on them in similar conditions...) but I think it's a hard yak to paddle.

Cost is about 60-80hours labour.
$160 for ply
$300 for bote cote epoxy
$100 for glass cloth
maybe max $200 for "consumables" squeegees, sandpaper, paddle pop sticks, plastic cups, solvent, cloths, varnish, disposable gloves, masking tape, plastic it all depends on how organized you can be and how long each building session is.

and then there's the tools and safety equipment you might need basically a jigsaw and lots (no really many more than that) of clamps and a reasonable orbital sander.

For the basic hull I reckon $600 maybe another $400 for hatches,foot braces, rod holders, tie downs, handles, paddle clips etc

so $1000 for a basic fishing machine plus labour which, in your case would probably push the cost to more than double a fully pimped PA with built in lacky to do the peddling :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd also recommend a reasonable large and well ventilated area to build, building in winter does pose some challenges which needs some consideration but that's when I did my last build. I don't think I'll start this build until November but I've ordered the plans and will work out exactly what I'm going to do over winter.

For me it's a labour of love, the inaugural Vyak meet was my first open water fish/paddle and I was chuffed to bits with the fact that I'd built something that worked... 8-)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

babylon wrote:Geez Pete thats some personal questions
about his woody jim
:lol: :lol: people will think I am from Sunnyside with questions like that - let me rephrase......

Got plenty of room Tor and I built a fibreglass hull from scratch once to replace the rubber one on a 14 foot inflatable, don't mind building things and have the tools. Also have a nice little leccy motor that would go really nicely on the woody and being purpose built I could make it exactly how I wanted.

I best catch up with you and sit in your current timber paddle craft if you don't mind, just so I can get an idea of what it is like.

cheers
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Tormentor »

oh yeah, forgot something important,

Some people, me :lol: , are sensitive to the resin. This can pose some problems but protective clothing and respirators overcome most things...

I do look like something from a science experiment when I'm working on he yak and I'm surprised the neighbours haven't suggested there's something naughty happening but I haven't had a swat team visit us yet...

I'll be happy if hey come and clean the shed though :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Tormentor »

Someone on the Jemwatercraft forum suggested I should let you "Tupperware" owners have a little paddle of the boat to show you how good they were, my response was

"She's like a mistress to me I don't want to share.

I'll think about it..."

no problem, next time we're at the same place you can have a paddle especially if it brings you to a more enlightened place :roll: :roll: :twisted:
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

I rebuilt a timber ski boat, does that qualify me, or at least get me closer?
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Tormentor »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

and for my next trick I'll teach your gran to suck eggs...

I shouldn't assume stuff, you've obviously worked with resins and wood so you should manage this with some ease then.

sounds like a fine plan and if your work area is heated you'll have no problem during winter.