The new SOT project

Show off your DIY project!
Kamikaze
Apprentice
kayak: Sit in Fibre Glass

Re: The new SOT project

Post by Kamikaze »

Hey Tor

Certainly looks like a good way to spend wet and windy winter days! After turning my sit in into a sit underneath :) I wouldnt mind having a look into a SOT project :) . Paddleing past your sit in on Sunday towards my impending doom, I reckon they look pretty flash and that the SOT would look just the same 8-) What does the material costs equate to in Aus dollars?
I have the building room and I have the patience I think?. What I don't have is the tools and boat building experience. I am no carpenter but I do have some building experience. Have you got any tips on the type of tools I would need to buy and any other helpful hints?
Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kamikaze :twisted: :twisted:
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Jem Southwind (built)

Post by Tormentor »

Kamikazee by name and nature :twisted: :twisted:

I think the cost of the build before pimping will be $5-600.

The Sabalo is considered one of the more complex builds but as I assume you're on the Eastern side of Melbourne I'm sure that I can provide some hands on assistance.

Yes you need a little patience and you need to be organised if you want to do the build quickly if you plan to take 3 months to do it then you'll be somewhere close over winter. But this will be a slow, considered build time.

Tools, a jigsaw (cheap), a sander (orbital medium range), a scraper, some spreaders, clamps (hundreds of clamps).

If you fancy building it buy the plans read them a few times, look up the forum and other builds. It'll cost about $90 for the plans.

Tor
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Just a question does she have scupper holes and if not could this be a bit risky in choppy open water ,luv the concept btw I have all the tools of destruction that man has ever invented sitting out in my shed so maybe a possible plan happening here :idea: :)

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Tormentor »

I'm only going to say this once so read very carefully,

Yes the wooden yak looks lovely, yes it takes a little effort and patience to build a nice one but,

IT's NOT THAT DIFFICULT

:) :D

Now sorry for shouting but you haven't been listening.

There has been a "little" interest shown by a number of people regarding the build of a ply stitch and glue SOT yak.

If you have a decent size shed/garage which you can dedicate to the project for a couple of months and a few basic handtools, you can build one of these, it isn't the easiest and a simple design is recommended to start but if you're only going to build one boat then you don't want to practice and spend good beer money on it.

If anyone is really keen on building the yak and still thinks it's a bit daunting I offer my services free of charge (I like John Squires/Coopers) to provide help and advice (hands on if I can). There's a couple of others around who know what they're doing too but they're keeping quiet...

I'm not pushing the Jemwatercraft models if someone's building a different model/brand I'll help with that too but I have faith in these designs and it's the one I'm building...
cruiser wrote:does she have scupper holes
Yep and space in the front to install a "hobie style" live well up front and a million and one ways to customise it, with hatches and rod holders and...

I don't expect to get mine in the water this year as I have another project I need to finish (Sasquatch Canoe - another Jem) so this is a long term build for me but I'm happy to practice, sorry help, someone else.
olsnappa
Apprentice
kayak: JEM Watercraft Cape Fear

Post by olsnappa »

Tormentor wrote:There's a couple of others around........ too but they're keeping quiet...
:D :D G'day Tor........ Not keeping quiet intentionally.....just busy working on the second Laker when I get the chance.
I'd endorse everything you're saying 100% and definitely recommend anyone interested give it a go.
You and I both know the personal satisfaction you get from building and using one of these JEM boats......and you can't really measure it in dollars :)
I'm also more than happy to throw my 2 cents worth of advice in for anyone taking it on....
Last edited by olsnappa on 30 Mar 2010, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
John.
"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything".
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Tormentor »

Olsnappa,

Wasn't having a crack at you :oops: , I know you're busy building but thanks for the input and post pictures of your Cape Fear.

You're right, the sense of achievement is unbelievable.

Tor
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Tormentor »

I take it all back

The plans arrived and I've just read through them :shock: :shock: :shock:

a little prior knowledge will be useful, but we can get through it :oops: