Retractable anchor cord

Show off your DIY project!
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Retractable anchor cord

Post by ratfish »

Haven't tried this yet but I'm contemplating a self retracting cord similar to what they use for clothes lines but longer mounted inside the hull for my anchor cord. Run the cord out through a plug with a clip attached at the end to quickly switch between drogue and folding anchor. Similar to how i run it already but it's just on a large handline and I let out enough cord through the hatch. The aim is to get the cord out of the way and avoid tangles and mess when retrieving. Biggest issue i can see is if i need to drop anchor and chase, not a common event considering i rarely anchor anyway or catch fish worthy of a chase :lol: but I'm open to suggestions and ideas on this one.
yakatak
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Mirage 09 Dune Pro Angler & 08 Red Oasis

Re: Retractable anchor cord

Post by yakatak »

Hi
I have had the same idea for a while.
I picked up a small retractable clothes line, it looks like a small version of those air hoses at the petrol station.
It is made of plastic and has a mounting bracket that you can attach or detach easily.
The only prob is that it is a sealed unit and i cant get into it to change the line from the original thick plastic line to my thinner sash cord and make it longer, there is only 15 meters of line in it.
I will try to upload a pic if any one is interested.
Cheers
Hobie Pro Angler, The Only KaYak Visable From Space.
My Best Catch So Far - My Wife - 46cm Flathead - 37cm Pinky - 32cm Whiting
Alan 0413 309764
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Retractable anchor cord

Post by GoneFishn »

If I where you I'd be looking at a Retractable Dog lead. The only problem I can see with setup is salt is getting in and ruining the spring and other metal parts. I have thought of this idea myself but gave it away due to the salt issue.