Broken Outback rudder lift

Show off your DIY project!
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Broken Outback rudder lift

Post by greggo »

I'm after some advice...How does one go about replacing the control lines for the rudder up and down on an Outback? I've broken the "down" on mine hitting a snag while Cod fishing a skinny river, I can lift it, but it wont lock down.

It looks like a tricky job threading the lines through the tubes, surely there's got to be some trick to it?

Thanks in advance, Greg.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Re: Broken Outback rudder lift

Post by Fish Grylls »

Tie the cord to some mono first and then pass the mono through the tubes and hole, then pull the cord through. On the older revo you need the dismantle the rudder assembly and wind the cord in the correct direction before tying off. Clockwise and Anti Clockwise for up and down cords, cannot remember which is which.
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by greggo »

Fish Grylls wrote:Tie the cord to some mono first and then pass the mono through the tubes and hole, then pull the cord through. On the older revo you need the dismantle the rudder assembly and wind the cord in the correct direction before tying off. Clockwise and Anti Clockwise for up and down cords, cannot remember which is which.
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I've got the older style Outback which uses a lever for lifting and lowering. It's really hard to access and impossible to see what I'm doing. I can understand why they changed the lift/lower lever system to the pull toggle system. ;)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

greggo wrote:
Fish Grylls wrote:Tie the cord to some mono first and then pass the mono through the tubes and hole, then pull the cord through. On the older revo you need the dismantle the rudder assembly and wind the cord in the correct direction before tying off. Clockwise and Anti Clockwise for up and down cords, cannot remember which is which.
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I've got the older style Outback which uses a lever for lifting and lowering. It's really hard to access and impossible to see what I'm doing. I can understand why they changed the lift/lower lever system to the pull toggle system. ;)
Just in case, have you tried youtube?
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by greggo »

maverick wrote: Just in case, have you tried youtube?
Yep, I did that first. I could find anything about the older lever system. Thanks anyway :up:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

greggo
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by greggo »

laneends wrote:you could always ask here
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewforum. ... 379780dff9