Revo 16 Sounder - Where to put head unit?

Show off your DIY project!
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Revo 16 Sounder - Where to put head unit?

Post by aussieDave »

Hi guys,

I've recently bought this 2015 Revo 16 ready for tuna season.
Revo 16.jpg
The guy who owned it before me had Binks Marine (SA Hobie Dealer) fit a Garmin sounder in the Lowrance ready Hobie. The tranny seems OK but where they installed the head unit, in the side pocket, was just unworkable with just a ram ball, knuckle then head unit as the Revo is quite narrow and the head unit was in the way of my knee when pedaling.

I have attempted a solution to make a dogleg setup.
Sounder head unit 1.jpg
This does move it over enough to allow room for my knee.
Sounder head unit 2.jpg
However although it was stable enough for a lap of a lake I'm worried that it wont cope with real waves hitting the kayak in an offshore or even bay situation.

What have other guys with Revo's done in regards to installing the sounder head unit?

Thanks,

Dave
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Revo 16 Sounder - Where to put head unit?

Post by laneends »

Coiuple of railblaza swivel joints, but a ram would do fine I just hard these spare
Attachments
20181225_085511.jpg
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

If its a 2015 model where is the thru the hull wiring plug located in the tankwell? On the bottom or on the bulkhead behind the seat?
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Hi Kieth,

I hear you guys have been liberated today, fantastic. I just hope it doesn't turn out like everywhere else in the world they have re-opened.

My sounder is set up with the tranny thru-hull fitting next to the Lowrance Ready scupper:
sounder thru-hull 1.jpg
And the same fitting in the side pocket:
sounder thru-hull 2.jpg
Do you have any problems getting to the sounder so far forward? I assume you have to stop and chimmy forward to get to it. I do have a starport right next to the mast so I could use that.

I did see this idea that looks great but I have no idea where I would get a piece of aluminium like this and get it bent to the right shape?
idea 1.png
I don't know, I've just realised that I can't download any decent charts for this sounder either so I might pull it out and put my good old trusty Lowrance Hook 4 with Lowrance Fish and Chips charts in. My new Hook 2-5 Tripleshot won't take Navionics either which is also disappointing.

Dave
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

aussieDave wrote:Hi Kieth,

My sounder is set up with the tranny thru-hull fitting next to the Lowrance Ready scupper:
That could be a problem. I initially had a 2015 model with the fitting there. They were installed there before hobie invented the three way plug. The issue is that plug is an above waterline deck fitting. Where it is located that part of the tankwell is flooded putting that fitting underwater. Ergo not fit for purpose. Mine leaked into the hull substantially from new. Other revo 16s owners had the same issue. When i complained direct to hobie (had to bypass dealer as they thought it shouldnt be an issue) Hobie immediately replaced my hull with a 2016 model as they had changed that design flaw. Search this board if you want to read my saga....viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22435&hilit=revo+16&start=10

If I picked up a 2015 hobie with this design flaw I would send it over to YaKdoc and get him to blank that off with a plastic weld patch. Then install a hobie surface mounted 3way plug in the tankwell wall as per current models. So if you are getting mysterious leaks that is what it will be. If it happens on the water there will be nothing you can do about it as its under water
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

I can just reach it without shimmying, I tend not to mess with screen once I'm on the water so not an issue. The main thing is it is out of the way. You could put a longer extension if you like. Its swings out of way if need be. Remounting with pocket mounted sounder like yours can be an issue
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Another pick here
Attachments
20180904_123353 - Copy.jpg
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Most common I've seen is to mount a RAM ball on the flat horizontal surface just forward of the pocket and use an arm to bring it up out and back from there. But this is usually with smaller head units. You have the parts so something you can play around with. With it sitting further forward and a bit higher up it should be clear of your legs while still accessible.

I realise the AI is a bit different, but I have a large RAM ball mounted on the rear ama cross bar. A long RAM camera boom comes from the big ball to a small ball at the base of the sounder. This has the arm for the sounder coming from behind my left with the screen positioned beyond my left elbow. However this may place it too wide on the Revo16 and you may be better off sticking with a front arm mount.
0408 565 763
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Thanks for your input Kieth and Shane.

I went through whole range of emotions yesterday when I realised I had this leak from the rear thru hull plug as I've been taking on a fair bit of water both times I've taken this kayak out around a lake in windy conditions. I even got to the point where I thought I might turn this yak over, I reckon I should be able to get back what I paid for it, and looked at buying a new 2020 model but after talking to Josh at SLH there is none available and Revo 16's are not going to be made any more. I'll have to work with what I have.

Josh suggested taking the plug out and fitting a ram ball or starport over the old hole and creating a new hole and plug in the vertical surface of the bulkhead, I think this is a good idea and I'll be able to attach a flag or something to the new fitting. It'll be a bit of a pain to do but give me something to do over the weekend.

Dave
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

aussieDave wrote:Thanks for your input Kieth and Shane.

I went through whole range of emotions yesterday when I realised I had this leak from the rear thru hull plug as I've been taking on a fair bit of water both times I've taken this kayak out around a lake in windy conditions. I even got to the point where I thought I might turn this yak over, I reckon I should be able to get back what I paid for it, and looked at buying a new 2020 model but after talking to Josh at SLH there is none available and Revo 16's are not going to be made any more. I'll have to work with what I have.

Josh suggested taking the plug out and fitting a ram ball or starport over the old hole and creating a new hole and plug in the vertical surface of the bulkhead, I think this is a good idea and I'll be able to attach a flag or something to the new fitting. It'll be a bit of a pain to do but give me something to do over the weekend.

Dave
I was annoyed at the time as hobie would not publicly announce this design flaw, probably they didnt want a worldwide recall, but at the time they replaced anyones boat who complained. Previous owner would have know about this and maybe why he got jack of it. To be honest it would not put me off buying one as yakdoc can easily fix that neatly, sent him an email (0457 780 893 e-mail yakdoc@yakdoc.com) and he can give you a price for plastic patch welding that hole, it may not be as much as you think. it would be a better and more reliable fix. Putting a ram mount/starport on is also not an acceptable solution as that is also an above deck fitting so could still leak anyway.

Apart from that they are great boats and I am surprised they dont sell well, especially in Vic where I have never seen another one in last 5 years.