Third wheel

Show off your DIY project!
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Third wheel

Post by Babylon »

20201004_110618.jpg
Finally finished new front jockey wheel for our Tandem kayak pretty happy with results.
benc120382
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 4.3

Re: Third wheel

Post by benc120382 »

:thumbsup: quality workmanship there mate, well done.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Nicely done Jim. :up: I'll be keen to hear how effective it is for different surfaces.
0408 565 763
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

Looks good, is this to make it easier transporting over longer distances?
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

shane wrote:Nicely done Jim. :up: I'll be keen to hear how effective it is for different surfaces.
From my place to the launch zone is only about 50 meters on crushed gravel walking track that will be its main use would be hopeless in the sand not meant for that. Jim
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Just be wary of any jarring on the the mounting points. Dont know what current hobies are like but the earlier ones used to suffered from sheared cam columns after drive impacts
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Very nice indeed, the main issues with wheels and weight are the weight dispersion characteristics of the tires IE: the size of the tires and where they are situated on the unit they intend to move.
when I made the wheels for my old yak I made them as large as possible in circumference, this allows easier movement through the sand along with the soft cushioning used for the tyres. When I bought the PA14 I also got the Ezee wheels however these have a very small diameter and make pulling the PA over different surfaces somewhat more difficult than it should, one way the alleviate this is to move the wheels further forward unfortunately the next set of hole are to far forward so this doesn't work, Ive often thought about changing the wheels over over however like a few other things I haven't got around to it as yet.
the only problem I see is there is a lot of weight on the front of the PA and going over unpacked gravel might cause issues with the front wheel although being a tandem you might have better locations for the rear wheels than the PA14 ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm