Where do you put your 12v battery?

Show off your DIY project!
Jef
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Mission Flo, Hobie Revolution 13 & AI

Where do you put your 12v battery?

Post by Jef »

Hi,
I'm Just wondering where to install a 12v battery and why to put it there.
At present I'm in the process of putting one in a Hobie Revoloution 13 and the 2 most common places are in a battery holder either attached to the mast step on the bow or in the stern hatch.
There's not much weight in the battery so I presume there must be some other reason/s for a persons preference. Or perhaps there isn't ...
Cheers
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Re: Where do you put your 12v battery?

Post by isportfish »

I've got a revo 13 too Jeff. Battery is a 7.2ah SLA stored in the hobie gear bucket in the rear hatch.

Why cause its easy, watertight and secure.
Last edited by isportfish on 09 Jan 2020, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

It depends on what type of bettery i guess, when i was using an SLA because of the weight i made a foam insert and glued it in the hull under the seat for better weight distribution my kayak being a PA14 once i upgraded to the 17.5 Ah FPV Li ion battery i bought the BerleyPro twist and stow battery mounting plate and made an aluminum bracket to screw it too.

When i was discussing mounting batteries with the hobie dealers they suggested the mounting box attached to the mast post, however i think this would depend on if you want better weight distribution for both on and off the water, but being a revo13 they aren't that heavy so maybe it comes down to convenience for charging and working on ;) but a lot of guys on here have revos so they may have reasons for other locations :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

My yak is an older Stealth Evo. My 7.2 Ah SLA is mounted in the rear hatch. It is against the forward bulkhead sitting on the floor. Glued to the bulkhead in vertical and horizontal strips which go around the battery are some old shoulder straps from a pair of neoprene waders with velcro fastener material on them. I just strap the battery in. I have turned turtle in this yak and the battery has stayed put.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Most fishing kayaks have enough stuffed stored in the back to make them stern heavy, Pedal kayaks lift their nose out of the water even more. Putting in the rear hatch creates worse case rear weight distribution. So given easy front hatch access on a hobie this works best for boat trimming. It also reduces length of wiring required with resultant less wiring loss issues. I have a revo 16, dont actually attach to mast but have in a box in front hatch under cooler I have there. You can put in a box in a drybag with the bag handle clipped around mast if you like.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

I've just used the standard Hobie cage for my battery, suspended below the rear hatch in my Revo 13. I also have an additional battery that I run the lights from which is in a sealed plastic container (glued to the hull) under the first battery. I find that with the weight of the two batteries behind the wheel cart, it helps with making the yak a bit lighter at the bow for dragging it up the beach.
And hopefully there is enough weight in the bow already from all those fish you caught :lol:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

outback paul wrote: I find that with the weight of the two batteries behind the wheel cart, it helps with making the yak a bit lighter at the bow for dragging it up the beach.
Keep in mind if your 13 foot yak has the first 2 feet bobbing out of the water due weight in the back your sharp prow 13 footer becomes a blunt nose 11 footer with an overhang :lol:
Jef

Post by Jef »

Thanks for your replies, rationals and thoughts on the matter.
Having never had a battery on board the yak I've appreciated them :)
For my setup, the battery will have to come out to be charged after use, unless camping where there will be a solar panel on board.
I generally don't utilise the front or rear storage so it's tempting to tuck it in the front attached to the sail step, but what I'm contemplating is putting a plastic saddle inside the middle storage area a bit behind the drive well and inside a fitted plastic tub (roughly 35cm x 60cm). The saddle will then be cable tied to the Hobie battery cradle which should keep it pretty snug.
That should allow for easy removal for charging, maintaining the yak's trim for general use and I can use the tub area for piggy backing other devices requiring a charge.
How does that sound? Have I missed anything?
Cheers
Jef

Post by Jef »

outback paul wrote: I find that with the weight of the two batteries behind the wheel cart, it helps with making the yak a bit lighter at the bow for dragging it up the beach.
And hopefully there is enough weight in the bow already from all those fish you caught :lol:
I'm OK with the beach haul though I appreciate your strategy :)
For me it's putting the yak on the SUV roof that's more the challenge ... and I better get a few marks & pointers of you to put some weight in the bow :)
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

When i setup my SLA battery i added a marine grade cigarette lighter socket to the rear of my yak, this i didn't think would last but has extremely well to date, the reason fir the socket was twofold, for having a removable power supply for my light and also it gave me a charging point, i bought 2 marine plugs (also lasted very well) one for my light and one to charge, this worked extremely well untill i change my design once i put th FPV battery in the rear hatch and is removed for charging.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm