Cheaters Skiff

Show off your DIY project!
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Re: Cheaters Skiff

Post by erik the viking »

Great stuff Cheater.
I do like the simple lines of your new project.
A bit like the yak, but a bit fatter :evilgrin:
I also like the fact you have put some drainage in along the inside of the keel.
A point that Timmy missed out on and it is going to cause him some grief in the future. A pity really.
Even at this early stage she looks like she will float. That's a good thing eh?
What size motor are you thinking of using? And how much rear end 'sag' are you expect when it hangs off the transom?
Or too early....?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

erik the viking wrote:Great stuff Cheater.
What size motor are you thinking of using? And how much rear end 'sag' are you expect when it hangs off the transom?
Or too early....?
Atm. I’m thinking 10 - 15 hp 2 stroke. I have a 9.9 Johnson I can test with. They weigh about 27 kg. Just the two extention box’s beside the motor have 16 litre capacity at about 100 mm sinkage so at that hold more than half the weight of the motor

The rough guide for the boat there is a least 300 kg of floation before to water is at floor level
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
erik the viking
Square eyes

Atm. I’m thinking 10 - 15 hp 2 stroke. I have a 9.9 Johnson I can test with. They weigh about 27 kg. Just the two extention box’s beside the motor have 16 litre capacity at about 100 mm sinkage so at that hold more than half the weight of the motor
The rough guide for the boat there is a least 300 kg of flotation before to water is at floor level

Ah, that's the idea for those two extra bits. Simple.
300kg of flotation is a bit more than I was expecting.
Ages back (when they first came out) I had a 15hp Evinrude that weighed the same as the 10hp.
Twice I was really happy I had the extra go when I got stuck with a foul following swell.
Last edited by erik the viking on 02 Nov 2019, 09:47, edited 2 times in total.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

The rough guide for the boat there is a least 300 kg of flotation before to water is at floor level
erik the viking wrote: Ah, that's the idea for those two extra bits. Simple.
300kg of flotation is a bit more than I was expecting.
Ages back (when they first came out) I had a 15hp Evinrude that weighed the same as the 10hp.
Twice I was really happy I had the extra go when I got stuck with a foul following swell.
yes the flotation is fairly high but the full floor has an average height of 132 mm from the bottom and is mainly sealed flotation

So 240 cm x 120 cm ( floor area ) x 13.2 cm = 380,160/1000 or about 380 lt - thats not counting the bow section so yer it's a bit like a big surf board with a motor

and the Johnson/evinrude 10 and 15 hp were the same engine just the 15 had a bigger carb and a different shaped exhaust cone in the leg - both pretty easy to work on and are cheap as chips second hand
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
erik the viking
Square eyes

yes the flotation is fairly high but the full floor has an average height of 132 mm from the bottom and is mainly sealed flotation

So 240 cm x 120 cm ( floor area ) x 13.2 cm = 380,160/1000 or about 380 lt - thats not counting the bow section so yer it's a bit like a big surf board with a motor

and the Johnson/evinrude 10 and 15 hp were the same engine just the 15 had a bigger carb and a different shaped exhaust cone in the leg - both pretty easy to work on and are cheap as chips second hand

So, with all that flotation does it mean there are no rod lockers?
Loved that motor. Sorry I had to sell it really.
I must admist it was a bitch to use for trolling until the marine dealer in Warrnambool (when on a big dive trip) put the correct ht plugs in it.
They knew about the issue but the place I bought it from kept saying it was my fuel. Ggrrr
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

erik the viking wrote: So, with all that flotation does it mean there are no rod lockers?
not in the floor - I have a couple of storage cubby holes in the front of the second bulkhead - there is room to stow stuff in there or use one or both to slide the rod tips in
and the rods would then sit against the sides
IMG_1716.JPG
if the conditions need the reels to be out of the weather ( crossing a bar or something ) I'll break the rods down and stow the reels in the front dry hatch
really re-rigging should be pretty easy on this platform

I'm toying with fitting a live well and kill tank in the floor but I'm still thinking about that
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Seasherpa wrote:
maverick wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:do people still use hobies ? every one I fish with seam to have glass skis these days
then you need to lift the standard of people you fish with.
Easier than lifting a Hobie :lol:
Thats why I got Cheater to make me a trailer with extendable drawbar.
But I still have to lift the back while Mrs Jacko pokes the trolley into the scupper holes.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Monday with the wind forecast being a bit yucky to fish and then the wind didn't get up as much as they said bugger them - any way I got the bottom glassed and 1 fill coat to give me something to sand

and now it's back on the jig the right way up so I can finish off the deck sections
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG
so that's about all I have to report on the little beast
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Hey Cheater, we haven't heard much recently about your progress, just wondering how it's going and ofc l haven't seen photos of your shed :lol: from one metal fabricator to another :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

peatop wrote:Hey Cheater, we haven't heard much recently about your progress, just wondering how it's going and ofc l haven't seen photos of your shed :lol: from one metal fabricator to another :up:
Progress has slowed as other stuff got in the way and I'm slack - I did pull it outside of the shed on sunday and cleared off all the stuff that accumulates on anything the stands stationary for any time in my shed

the plan is to get a bit more done and maybe have it up and running for the warmer weather later spring - I sort of wont the room that it is taking up to build a new kayak
I have drawn up a new fishing ski a bit narrower and longer than my stealth ( hopefully lighter ) but may do a low volume sea kayak next - I alread have some ideas on that as well

I have a few handy tools in the shed left over from my engineering shop - I still have an 8 foot x 1.6 sheet metal folder an old milling machine a 2 meter between centre lathe and other drills and off cause a couple of Tig welders and couple of Mig welders -- biggest problem is I have to much other stuff in the shed being in a built up area the sheds only 11 by 6 metres
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657