Cheaters Skiff

Show off your DIY project!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Cheaters Skiff

Post by peatop »

11x6m and l have a single car garage :lol: but my only welder is a inverter tig/stick my folder is whatever form l can find and a hammer, lathe yeah l have a cheap wood one and my mill is a file, die grinder, 5", 9" and drill l always seemed to work somewhere that had all the equipment needed to fabricate anything l wanted if needed but as l don't work anymore l really miss not having access to all the turning equipment :cry: but most of it a can do without but l wouldn't mind and ac tig for aluminum ;)
Im bringing home a larger garden shed on the weekend so that will make a mass of room in my garage and hopefully make it fireproof so l can then weld inside instead of in the driveway.

Im looking forward to the writeups for your next projects :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

peatop wrote:
l wouldn't mind and ac tig for aluminum ;)
Im bringing home a larger garden shed on the weekend so that will make a mass of room in my garage and hopefully make it fireproof so l can then weld inside instead of in the driveway.
My aluminium Tig is an old syncowave 250 Miller - quite a larger older machine but it's bullet proof I could do with a new water cooled touch mine leaks water these days
and I dont think it's worth fixing

as for a garden shed mine is 5.5 x 3.7 metre as you can't have to many sheds
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

To many tools? Never heard such a thing lol the garden shed is for the camping gear and wood tools, the metal fab tools get the inside treatment :thumbsup:
But thats just 2 of my trades l think l might split the rest between the 2 sheds, garage anything for metal, other shed everything else lol
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

ok a bit of an update things have been progressing again and not because of the Wuhan Bat Flu lock downs but more because it's been a bit warmer to get out in the shed
so the main things I've been doing is to get all the floor bracing in I decided to go with sealed under floor for floatation with 3 separate sealed spaces with separate drain bungs - the centre section will have a kill tank and I'm looking at options for a live bait tank
IMG_1999.JPG
I drilled out these floor braces to save a bit of weight
IMG_2031.JPG
and here they are lightened a bit and epoxied into the bottom and the inside of the hull has also been glassed
IMG_2038.JPG
the hole cut in the floor section at the stearn will have a lowered floor that fits the fuel tank with just a simple strap that should keep it from sliding around
IMG_2041.JPG
the floor sections cut in only the front 800 mm needed to be narrowed about 50 mm right at the front and of cause shaped up a bit with a block plane to fit the curve of the hull
the centre section will aslo need a hole cut about 700 mm x 400 mm for access to the kill tank - I'll probably fit a seat above this
IYNL4150.JPG
and I ran out of clamps today putting strips along the top of the floor bracings ( something to give extra glue surface )

so thats a progress report of the skiff - with a bit of luck I'll be gluing down floor sections by the week end
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Ran out of clamps :lol: I bought 2 packs of 3 the other day, and along with my remaining sash clamps i now have maybe 10, looking good Cheater, how much do you think the total cost of the build will come too?
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

peatop wrote: how much do you think the total cost of the build will come too?
good question I think I have used or have still in stock 6 x 6 mm bunnings marine ply @ $ 66 per sheet - 1 x 9 mm bunnings marine ply about $ 84 from memory
some hard wood for around the gunnels and probably $ 500 for epoxy and glass

so that around a grand + sanding discs and other consumables so only a guess under $ 1500 - so by the time I pick up a S/H 9.9 or 15 hp Johno it should be around 2 grand ready to fish

and of cause hours of amusement building it

all just guesses though
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

cheaterparts wrote:
peatop wrote: how much do you think the total cost of the build will come too?
good question ..................................
all just guesses though
Don't keep guesssing, you might surprise the bank manager and then what? :D
It's apparently easy to disguise the 'little bits' each week rather than the $3K up front.
Notice the little covid mark up eh? :yahoo:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

erik the viking wrote: Don't keep guesssing, you might surprise the bank manager and then what? :D
It's apparently easy to disguise the 'little bits' each week rather than the $3K up front.
I don't have problems with the minister for finance and the cost will be close to my guess @ $ 1500 not counting my time of cause but then that's the thing with these projects it gives me something to do

no more fishing for the next 6 weeks means plenty of time to work on the project
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

looking good Cheater, $1500 for a few months entertainment then a skiff at the end! thats not a bad deal :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Any idea of what the final draft of this will be so you can work out the westernport tides you can work with?

Are you sorting a special trailer for it?