DIY trolley - attaching wheels

Show off your DIY project!
im_no_pro
Apprentice
kayak: Malibu Stealth 12

DIY trolley - attaching wheels

Post by im_no_pro »

HI All

Embarking on my first (hopefully of many) DIY project to put together a scupper trolley. Have a decent frame together, just trying to figure out the best way to attach the wheels I have. Yeah, I know I could get some threaded rod and a couple of trolley wheels and be done with it but I want to see if I can make these ones work (they are brand new pram wheels I picked up from the salvo's for pocket change).

I am thinking I have two options:

1 - it them as is then fill behind the end cap with some araldite, liquid nails or similar. Cheap (i.e. free), easy but possibly a bit challenging to get them square & keep them that way until it's set.

2 - try and get the circlips off, pull the axels out and hope that 12mm solid steel round from bunnings fits nicely, drill a hole in each end and split pin to hold in place.

Option 1 is preferable as im trying to keep it so that if I cant get the trolley back to the car easily I can pull the wheels off at the T piece and store the whole thing in my front hatch.

Any other ideas?
Attachments
End Cap
End Cap
Wheel
Wheel
Trolley
Trolley
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: DIY trolley - attaching wheels

Post by peatop »

Use 12mm allthread and nut with a wing nut as a locking nut if you want removable wheels, you may find those wheels get stuck in the sand, also the extended wheel spacing might add to much stress to your assembly and axle, maybe cut it back to the "T" pieces, a lot of scupper trollies fit upside-down in the scupper holes while on the water.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
im_no_pro
Apprentice

Post by im_no_pro »

peatop wrote:you may find those wheels get stuck in the sand, also the extended wheel spacing might add to much stress to your assembly and axle, maybe cut it back to the "T" pieces
Very observant, you are. The PVC sections for the scupper holes and the ones attached to the end caps are deliberately left long until I have a setup im happy with at which point I will cut them down if needed/wanted. I wont be storing the trolley upside down in the scuppers - no room with a crate in there.

The wheels definitely wont like soft sand, but I wont be encountering much of that at this stage.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I used green machine wheels from k mart as suggested by a few guy on here, however i have never bothered to add the foam to the wheels for easier soft sand use as most of my launch sites I've used the boat ramp, after an issue with my trailer i was somewhat forced to use the wheels rather than launch directly from my trailer.

What im now finding is i was lazy before choosing my fishing locations to coincide with boat ramps (not really but)since ive been using beach wheels I've found that im launching in better locations to access the area i wish to fish, I've been wanting to fish an area around the marine farm here for quite sometime however it's a long way to paddle from the harbour, there is closer access however apart from the beach launch there is a rather steep and long ramp down to the beach and im not sure about the return trip, anyway now i think its time to put the foam i purchased many months ago on my wheels.

I think once i buy a hobie i will invest in the hobie beach wheels as i believe they are more suited to the soft sand ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

You need to think a bit about what salt water will do to those wheels. Even rinsing off you will find corrosion takes over pretty quickly, either sizing them or making them fall apart. Using some S/S tube or rod in place of the current axle may be a better medium term option. That way you can replace with other wheels when you need to. If you do go with option 1, sleeve the inside of the PVC down to the axle diameter first as epoxy ect will break down quickly under the load. Also reinforce inside the PVC tube with wooden dowel or similar as the un-reinforced PVC will break over time.
0408 565 763
im_no_pro
Apprentice

Post by im_no_pro »

Ta - I had though about sleeving the axles but wasn't sure of the best approach, will give that some more thought. I'm not worried if the wheels don't last, I just like the challenge of trying to make do with what I have, will likely upgrade to trolley wheels & threaded rod down the track.
Last edited by im_no_pro on 11 May 2018, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

See my tractor bits post re lynch pins for quick wheel removal.
im_no_pro
Apprentice

Post by im_no_pro »

bunyip wrote:See my tractor bits post re lynch pins for quick wheel removal.
Thanks, they wont suit the wheels im using at the moment but could be rather handy for Version 2 down the track....