Jet powered Kayak & SUP

Show off your kayak!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Jet powered Kayak & SUP

Post by maverick »

I have one of the new Bixpy J2 electric motors to play with. Ran it on the Compass the other day and also on my new Fishing SUP. Should be a bit of fun over summer. Installation video is coming- currently beig edited, but here is a quick video of the first run of the motor on the SUP.

Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Re: Jet powered Kayak & SUP

Post by maverick »

There is some fabulous Artwork on the bottom of the SUP and it comes with some inbuilt rod holding options.
SUP top.jpg
SUP bottom.jpg
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Ha ha nice I wanted to catch up with Marty when he was in Portland last season and chat to him about his setup, but that group got scared when the rain came :lol: I'm interested to know how long the battery lasts and if you could use it as an anchor (spot lock) not on the end of the chain Hmmm well maybe if it doesn't go so well, but Grant said it's what keeps him fishing so I guess they're pretty good.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

interested to know where it fits on the compass and run times,and cost.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

On the Compass, I made use of the pre-existing power pole mounts.

Apparently 90 mins at full power and up to 12 hours at minimal power. In the Compass I sat on 5.5 km/h at full speed with a normal fishing load. I then did some slow pedalling and it easily kicked up to 7 km/h.

Cost, SLH have the base unit on their website for $2,099.

Grant Ashwell has been running one for 3 years at SWR on his Revo, he gets 3 - 4 hours out of it on half power.
Bixpy mount.jpg
Deefer
kayak: Intex Excursion Pro k1 Inflatable Kayak

Post by Deefer »

I love the idea of these little Bixby motors but the price is way up there, I am sure the quality is there but compared to a basic water snake for a kayak I know which one I would get but for a SUP or inflatable kayak there is not much option.
If you are wondering if you can install these on the cheap inflatables, here is a video... https://youtu.be/AEUvUSibQMA

I have been considering a cheaper (Alibaba) Chinese jet to bolt on to the skeg on my inflatable kayak, after perhaps reinforcing around the skeg holder.
Here is a photo of what I have been looking at, they will make up a kit for you with various lithium battery capacities.
Image Image

PS: not sure if pics work, first time posting photos.
Last edited by Deefer on 07 Feb 2022, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Bixby are not the cheapest option, but I suppose quality costs. The remote wrist mounted wifi engine controller is a win on the SUP, even on the yak. Not sure if other units have thouse?

Everything on the unit floats, even the battery and it is all under warranty. Dealing with SLH is easy in the event there is an issue.

I can't really comment on other units as I haven't used them.
Deefer
kayak: Intex Excursion Pro k1 Inflatable Kayak

Post by Deefer »

I totally agree with the cost v's quality statement, Bixby have a great reputation and have been around for a long time now.
I just wanted to experiment with the cheaper alternatives and my kayak cost was $169 including delivery, its hard to justify a near $2000 dollar motor kit just to play around on.
There are other options like the Electafin https://www.currentdrives.com/pages/electrafin but I have not researched the cost etc.
Or there is another Chinese model... Image
Parts, quality and service (spares) would be the main concern with these, but its good to know there are options out there.
I am certainly not knocking the Bixby product, I personally love the product... Its just that my wallet is currently a little lighter than it should be and I really want to experiment with this kayak.