New toy for post Stage 4

Show off your kayak!
trogdor
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

New toy for post Stage 4

Post by trogdor »

So before Stage 4 restrictions I was getting back into kayak fishing with my old Revo 13..

Was liking the convenience of the kayak but was starting to feel very squished in for anything but short trips in the Revs.

So today I put a deposit down on a PA14 - the clearout ex tournament ones at SLH. Seems to be a res
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: New toy for post Stage 4

Post by Steve_R »

I applaud your optimism and hope you'll ruin the new look with fish gunk soon.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Steve_R wrote:I applaud your optimism and hope you'll ruin the new look with fish gunk soon.
squid inks the best, mine lost it new shine first trip :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
trogdor
Apprentice

Post by trogdor »

Steve_R wrote:I applaud your optimism and hope you'll ruin the new look with fish gunk soon.
Yes, exactly... Without getting into a political rant I feel that I may be very optimistic and the first snapper on the new PA14 may be from the 2021 season. But what else can I do.... :roll: Plus I only had to pay a deposit to hold it so I won't feel too bad if it drifts out time wise....

On a different note - I got my Zwift setup and indoor trainer a while back - now that's a great way to burn off nervous energy and not leave your house in 2020! Anybody else on Zwift on here?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

trogdor wrote:
Yes, exactly... Without getting into a political rant I feel that I may be very optimistic and the first snapper on the new PA14 may be from the 2021 season. But what else can I do.... :roll: Plus I only had to pay a deposit to hold it so I won't feel too bad if it drifts out time wise....

On a different note - I got my Zwift setup and indoor trainer a while back - now that's a great way to burn off nervous energy and not leave your house in 2020! Anybody else on Zwift on here?
you should be ok for something sooner or later we cant sit inside for ever although sometimes i think the hierarchy would like us to be mushrooms hmm better mushrooms :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

trogdor wrote: On a different note - I got my Zwift setup and indoor trainer a while back - now that's a great way to burn off nervous energy and not leave your house in 2020! Anybody else on Zwift on here?
Since it's almost impossible for most of us to get out on the yak I might as well sidetrack this post and put in my tuppence worth.
I'm not able to ride a bike anymore for medical reasons, however my son has taken up 'Zwifting' since he gave up football.
Now, that is an area that can easily consume your 'spare' cash as quickly as yak fishing can!
It is amazing how realistic sitting on a bike in front of a large screen tv can be with some computer program controlling the resistance to the 'wheels' and shows the live pictures in front of you.
He has spent many long night with me, since he could barely walk, watching lots of cycle racing and cheering or shouting at the screen.
He has seen many stages of the TDF, including Mont Ventoux and the climb to Galibier, and eagerly noticed the strain and pain on the riders faces.
In the last couple of weeks, he has competed in these 'races' from his home, via Zwift, and commented "geez those are really tough climbs!"
He's hooked, and now so to is his partner.................
No traffic hazards, irate motorists or punctures.
That is some amazing collection technology that is bringing relief to many in these difficult times.
Like anything, you don't need the greatest bike or gear, but you do need an appropriate trainer that can link up to the relevant software.
Start this at your own peril! :thumbsup:

Ps You do get very, very fit without leaving home. Although the experience is not 'real' it is a fantastic alternative. The adrenaline rush and endorphin high is very beneficial.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Sounds like you take too much S#!^ with you if you felt cramped in a revo 13 :P

hope you dont find the opposite with the PA - its too much of a heavy hassle to take out for short trips ;) We always need an excuse to replace our toys with new ones - I'm no exception
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
trogdor
Apprentice

Post by trogdor »

Reeling wrote:Sounds like you take too much S#!^ with you if you felt cramped in a revo 13 :P

hope you dont find the opposite with the PA - its too much of a heavy hassle to take out for short trips ;) We always need an excuse to replace our toys with new ones - I'm no exception
I don't take that much stuff actually. I do a lot of powerlifting (best investment ever in March 2020 was a squat rack, deadlift platform, etc.. for my garage :yahoo: ) so find given I'm often fatigued in the back when I go out after a few hours I get squirmy but can't move around. Also I used to be able to hop up onto my knees to take a piss pretty easily but now given how tight and sore my quads are a lot of the time I dare not. Add zwifitng in and its much worse now too. I like the idea of being able to stand up and stretch etc...

But yet - excuses to change toys, absolutely :D Not the line I'm running with the wife.

I'm hoping the square back and handles cancel out the extra weight to load and unload. I figure the shape is more "grabable" but 25kg heavier). We'll see...!
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

trogdor wrote:
Reeling wrote:Sounds like you take too much S#!^ with you if you felt cramped in a revo 13 :P

I don't take that much stuff actually. I do a lot of powerlifting (best investment ever in March 2020 was a squat rack, deadlift platform, etc.. for my garage :yahoo: ) so find given I'm often fatigued in the back when I go out after a few hours I get squirmy but can't move around. Also I used to be able to hop up onto my knees to take a piss pretty easily but now given how tight and sore my quads are a lot of the time I dare not. Add zwifitng in and its much worse now too. I like the idea of being able to stand up and stretch etc...

But yet - excuses to change toys, absolutely :D Not the line I'm running with the wife.

I'm hoping the square back and handles cancel out the extra weight to load and unload. I figure the shape is more "grabable" but 25kg heavier). We'll see...!
you'll be able to get rid of that squat rack if you're still gong to be roof topping :) everything's a means to an end :)
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Once a kayak is a trolley job a few extra kgs make no difference, especially if you have sand wheels and you have an alternative loading method to the old snatch and jerk, which is probably safer if its no longer a temptation.