New toy for post Stage 4

Show off your kayak!
trogdor
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Re: New toy for post Stage 4

Post by trogdor »

laneends wrote:Once a kayak is a trolley job a few extra kgs make no difference, especially if you have sand wheels and you have an alternative loading method to the old snatch and jerk, which is probably safer if its no longer a temptation.
I hope so!

I have sand wheels - tick!

Car is an X5, roof racks have Hobie foam pads on them, and I have a third roof rack with suction cups which goes on the back "spoiler" lip that also has foam pad on it. So lift kayak nose onto the foam pad on suction cup (so it doesn't sit on / scratch car body), walk around, lift rear overhead, then slide forward. Then remove suction cup third roof rack while on the move.

I'm reasonably strong, but not that tall - 1.77cm, so hopefully its OK. I can do the revo this way pretty easy.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

laneends wrote:Once a kayak is a trolley job a few extra kgs make no difference, especially if you have sand wheels and you have an alternative loading method to the old snatch and jerk, which is probably safer if its no longer a temptation.
I agree Keith we have the Oasis and the PA 14, I find the PA easier to handle than the lighter Oasis as the Oasis rolls around on the stern or bow when manoeuvring where as the PA on the stern doesn't move.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Oddly enough I found the revo 16 easier to load than the quest 13 despite being heavier, as the increased length means that the angle is less when propped on the back, so less likely to slip sideways and clears car body more easily. Nothing beats K1 or surfski though at 9.5kg and 13.5kg respectively. Man handling fishing kayaks just seems like hard work these days.