Upgraded Sounder for Summer

Show off your kayak!
smokin_reels
Apprentice
kayak: Dagger Drifter, Hobie Outback

Upgraded Sounder for Summer

Post by smokin_reels »

Ever since the new OB was released, I have been drooling all over it.
Better sense and self restraint prevailed and I decided to not swap my perfectly functional 2015 OB for the shiny and new.

I decided to get a new sounder installed and get rid of the old Elite 3x that it came with.
While looking up what was on offer on the market, I settled on getting myself a new Elite Ti2-7 combined with the 3-1 Active Imaging Sounder. :evilgrin:

Purchasing the sounder was easy enough, chsmith marine offered the best price!
I swung by SLH and picked up a square hatch, a BerleyPro Sidebro and BerleyPro Visor for the sounder unit.

I wasnt confident enough to do the square hatch install myself :wtf: and I teed up a meeting with the YakDoc! :geek:

My Boss was informed that the kayak is going under the knife and I have to be by her side and I got the friday off.
A short drive to YD's garage and he was slicing into her.

The yak on the docs table
The yak on the docs table
Quite quickly the new hatch was in place. The installation kit came complete with waterproof seals and all the hardware required. Steve made short work of it.
New Hatch
New Hatch

A couple of screws were popped off and the sidebro install was next.
Handy to store used lures
Handy to store used lures

The Sounder wiring took some fiddling with, the transducer was installed and we were done!
Nice and neat..
transducer cable and battery cable , through the hull
transducer cable and battery cable , through the hull
The Berleypro transducer shield helped make the transducer installationa simple job.

All that was left was the water test!
Off to the nong and caught a handful of small bream, love the new setup!

Play around with this thing all day!
Play around with this thing all day!

Cant thank the YD enough, did a great job!
Highly recommend :up:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Upgraded Sounder for Summer

Post by peatop »

Looks good Aaron, is that the removable tub in the hatch or built in one? Why didn't you go for the tackle tray setup for the hatch? Love the look of the sounder ;)

When i first attached my sounder(garmin) to my PA i put it up towards the front, I've since bought an adjustable starport riser and the light H rail starport, however the adjustable riser is not really necessary and i still often like to move the sounder back to the front mount when drifting or anchored.

I think my next sounder will be a Lowrance so i can make use of the ball mounts ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
smokin_reels
Apprentice
kayak: Dagger Drifter, Hobie Outback

Post by smokin_reels »

peatop wrote:Looks good Aaron, is that the removable tub in the hatch or built in one? Why didn't you go for the tackle tray setup for the hatch? Love the look of the sounder ;)

When i first attached my sounder(garmin) to my PA i put it up towards the front, I've since bought an adjustable starport riser and the light H rail starport, however the adjustable riser is not really necessary and i still often like to move the sounder back to the front mount when drifting or anchored.

I think my next sounder will be a Lowrance so i can make use of the ball mounts ;)

I’ve got removal tubs in the front and the Center hatch.
It didn’t make sense to go with the tackle tray inserts for me, I find that I store more than just trays in the centre hatch and this is a more allround option. Plus you can store more tackle trays too in the tub.

The person who I bought my yak from had two large ball mounts set up to have rod holders for baitfishing/ trolling, I repurposed the one on the right for the sounder and the left is a rod holder now that I use as a rest for the rod , after I land a fish. Again , I mostly am flicking plastics and lures.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Nice one.

Apparently YD does a mean garfish clinic too if you're ever looking for a fishing guide.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

4liters wrote:Nice one.

Apparently YD does a mean garfish clinic too if you're ever looking for a fishing guide.
Ouch!!!
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's