PA and outback

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
morgs
Apprentice
kayak: Pro Angler 14

PA and outback

Post by morgs »

Hi all I need some feed back as i am getting rid of the outfitter and want to go to a outback or a PA.

Has anyone used the hobie sail on any of these yaks and how did they handle? Still not sure whether to buy the PA or the outback?

morgs
PB
Snapper - 53cm westernport
Whiting - 48cm westernport
Flaty - 55cm lake king
black bream - 42cm hollands landing
0422 595 785
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Re: PA and outback

Post by bilby »

Hey mate, i've owned both the Outback and the Pro angler. Heres my take on em both :
The Pa's are great if your into comp fishing or lure fishing, as the ability to stand and sight cast is invaluable, they are far too heavy to drag through the sand and the Hobie trax carts just arent up to the task, they have great storage options and are as dry as a tinny.
The outbacks Imo are the perfect allrounders, very dry, stable, can be decked out and modified to nearly have the same amount of fishability as a Pro angler, the best part is the fact that pulling them to and from the beach and over sand is a breeze ( i just recently went to Mallacoota, i dragged the Outback down the road about 700 mtrs to the water, up a huge hill, no sweat) they can be lifted onto roofracks MUCH easier.
I had a sail kit for the first Outback i owned, was fun but wouldnt buy another.
If i were you, id try them both out and then you will have a better idea.
For me Outbacks are the go.
Bilby
Bill 0409139460
Allan
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Allan »

bilby wrote:i dragged the Outback down the road about 700 mtrs to the water, up a huge hill, no sweat)
Coming from the guy who runs 7kms in 34 minutes! You are no longer your average punter Bill... you are the iron man!
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Haha very true old chum, i'd still struggle to pull the Pa around though.
Bill 0409139460
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

I helped tipsta get his PA on his roof. And its awkward with two, and he was carrying an injury from doing it by himself.

I would love one but it would be near impossible for me to get one on my 4x4 roof. Even with two people.

PAs are about 60kg with the standard stuff you leave on them.

His statement was hate it out of water absolutely love it on the water.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Knogg wrote: I would love one but it would be near impossible for me to get one on my 4x4 roof. Even with two people.
Not quite impossible and it's easier with one. This is a vid I did two years ago tomorrow. I still load the PA this way today.

Wannabe Fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Wannabe Fisherman »

I put mine on very similar to how Rhino does it (I can see my house in that video too hehehe). I have to be a bit more cautious and do it slightly differently as I bought roof racks to suit my rack and roll, but turns out they're not quite the exact roof racks I need. I went by bar thickness, but didn't think that the brand of roof rack would matter. As a result the rack and roll sits on the plastic that supports the roof rack and is at risk of slipping off and dropping the yak on the floor. I have to lift the yak from the back and slide the front on the rack first, then swing the back over onto the roof racks.
Same but different :evilgrin:
http://www.youtube.com/KayakFishingVids - Currently a work in progress
Ph. 0425 86 30 67
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Post by Tipsta »

Knog was kinda right in what he said, but i dont have any issues loading my PA onto the roof at all,
The only time it can be a problem is because of the terrain its not easy getting it from the water to the car.
The main issue is because of the weight the wheels bury into the sand a little
That said, i look at it like this, yes it might take me a little longer to set up than others, yes its more of a struggle getting from the water to the vehicle.
But, in a day how long are you loading and unloading for compared to how long your on the water for.
I'd rather all the comforts for an all day fishing session so I'm happy with my choice.
Just wish i didnt mount the microwave so far away, have to leave the seat to press cook :lol:

Cheers Tip
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

If dragging the PA across some sand it can be easier to take the wheels out and just drag the hull (another kind lesson from our mate Rhino). Worked well for me when launching at Altona when the Millers ramp was out of commission
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Post by Knogg »

Rhino wrote:
Knogg wrote: I would love one but it would be near impossible for me to get one on my 4x4 roof. Even with two people.
Not quite impossible and it's easier with one. This is a vid I did two years ago tomorrow. I still load the PA this way today.

Great vid but unfortunately it still wouldn't help me. My roof is alot higher than that and it's a ute so can't walk around the back. I may look at putting a ladder rack on the back with rollers.
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"