Hobie outback 12.1ft vs. revolution 11ft?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
crunk
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback 2012 Golden Papaya

Hobie outback 12.1ft vs. revolution 11ft?

Post by crunk »

Hey everyone.

I had to convince my mother on two main aspects. "1. Safety weather wise/conditions 2. Also sharks". This was accomplished, not through stupidity of nagging but through research and dedication.
Some of you may have seen my post on AV.

I'm located around Black Rock/Mentone/Beaumaris. I will be inshore fishing with the kayak. I'm 19 and 6ft 2/3. Weigh approximately 75-90kg (sorry I don't have scales). I will be getting roof racks on my car that will be able to support either no problems(It's a mazda 3 sedan). I wouldn't be more than 1km out from shore. I've spoken with a few fisherman with yaks and they mention no more than 1-2km. Also because this will be the first time I'll be on the water I will be going out with a few others just to get a feel for things.

I do plan on perhaps using this yak in freshwater conditions of small lakes/rivers/inlets but that isn't something that I'll be doing right away. So ideally I don't want to rule that out as a potential option entirely. I'm under the impression that the outback is very very heavy and obviously hard to therefore transport and launch into freshwater places. Because safety is important others were recommending the outback over the revo based on stability and only one was recommending the revo. I couldn't quite understand why, it seemed as if the revo was a sinking battleship or something of sorts.

Species I'll be targeting: "Salmon/Snapper/Squid/Snook/Pike/Flathead and what ever else is in the mix.
I'll be going to SLH in Mornington on Friday to talk with Scott and get some information as to what I'll be needing, how much it will cost roughly and the comparisons between different yaks and the accessories etc.

My shopping list:
Yak
Gaff
Net
PFD (Epirb was recommended heavily as an investment but not too sure on which other types)
Fish finder
Roof racks
Wheels
Rod holders
Anchor with trolley

Any advice would be great. Many thanks!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Hobie outback 12.1ft vs. revolution 11ft?

Post by cheaterparts »

crunk wrote:
My shopping list:
Yak
Gaff
Net
PFD (Epirb was recommended heavily as an investment but not too sure on which other types)
Fish finder
Roof racks
Wheels
Rod holders
Anchor with trolley

Any advice would be great. Many thanks!
first bit of advice
read though this http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5956

as for the yak if you wont to get a hobie I'm sure scott will be able to answer your questions
a gaff dont know I dont use one
a net get a fairly big net you dont get to move around much on a yak so a big opening on the net is easier to use
PFD you with find info in the saftey section
epirb again I dont have one but you may do better with a PLB they are smaller and fit on your person

anchour trolleys - rod holders - fish finder are all personal prefences

there is a lot of info on this site do a bit of searching
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

I can't speak for the Revo 11, but I have the original Revo and stability isn't an issue and I've never tipped it accidently. The major difference in my eyes is storage and leg room. The Outback has a lot more space on the deck for all your stuff and a few extra pockets and trays - great if you're bait fishing. The Revo is a bit narrower and therefore not quite as gear friendly. I like to fish with a simple setup and occasionally go out a bit wider so the Revo suits me better. I'm 6'4" and the Revo 13 and Outback are both pretty comfortable, but I think the Revo 11 is a fraction shorter in the cockpit, so testing both is a good idea.

Whichever way you go, they're both great kayaks and you'll love it.

Cheers

Tim
Outback Yak
Square eyes
kayak: Hobi outback

Post by Outback Yak »

Welcome aboard Crunk, have a look in the VYak classifieds as there's some good deals going from time to time. I've only spoken to him once, but Christian from Mentone has got a 2011 Outback for sale with a bunch of gear on it that stacks up for value. It's on e-bay but he'll do a deal for VYak members.

I live in Mentone and I've only had my yak for only a few weeks so I'm looking forward to exploring the areas you mentioned so happy to hook up if you want to head out! Good luck with the research :wave1:

Dino
doddsj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2009 Hobie Outback

Post by doddsj »

G'day,

Glad to see you here on the site. I have read your post on AV. Outback is only a couple of kilos heavier than the Revo. Easy to manage and very stable. Has 4 Rod Holders allready built in plus side pockets. Don't forget the Rudder upgrade, Sailing rudder is much better than standard. Talk to SLH and they will give you all the advise you need as far as which yak to purchase. Good luck.

Cheers,
Steve.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Revolution11 is 21.32kg with a carry capacity of 136kg length 11'6"/3.51m
Revolution13 is 26.3kg with a carry capacity of 159kg length 13'5"/4.09m
Outback is 29.94 kg with a carry capacity of 181kg length 12'1"/3.68m
Might pay to test drive as being 6'3" you may be a bit big for the Revo11, add up your weight with warm clothes and all fishing gear including anchor etc and the Revo11 may not carry enough weight either.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
crunk
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback 2012 Golden Papaya

Post by crunk »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

By the sounds of things the outback is the way to go. Ideally testing them woul the. Confirm which of the two to go for.
A I said I'm heading to slh tomorrow. So I'll go from there and report back!
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

G'day M8 get a rack and roll with the outback im 5'6 55kg i have no probs at all getting the
outback on the roof of my calais even full of gear :thumbsup:
Brett
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

This is my take on it, which may or may not be relevant.

The 11 foot Revolution would probably be the ultimate estuary yak. It's nice and light and nimble. It stands to reason that it wouldn't be in the same class as an outback for stability, as it just doesn't have necessary water contact area. This wouldn't matter so much in sheltered waters, but it would be a handicap in bay or offshore conditons.

The Outback is like a big armchair. It's big, comfy and very stable. This is the yak that I chose for a general purpose yak for both estuaries and PPB. The extra weight of the Outback, when loading and unloading from the car, can be remedied by using one of the loading aids, such as the 'Rack and Roll'.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

I would recommend trying both the Outback and Revo 13.

You are about my height but a bit lighter than me....The outback will be fine, but so will the Revolution 13.

Depends what you want to do..... I went the way of the Revolution and it is stable as all hell under me.

I went to SLH and they said to me that if its 100% fishing you want, go the Outback.
Anything else, any paddling or distance trips, go the Revo. It is going to be a bit more difficult for me to rig for fishing, but it will be mint when it gets there.

The Outback is a hell of a boat imo...but so is the revo. Its a hell of a decision to have to make. :P

I've had my Revolution for a week now and I still cant help but to go down to the workshop and do the three can walkaround.