Hobie outback 12.1ft vs. revolution 11ft?

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
dinium
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: Hobie outback 12.1ft vs. revolution 11ft?

Post by dinium »

Welcome Jeremy,

It's good to see the focus on the safety stuff! :up: I agree with Jenko and think the Revo 11 might be a bit small for you - but SLH run testing days (normally Sat mornings) which is well worth doing to make sure you get the right yak for you. Also,

Don't be too concerned about the weight difference (I get the outback onto the car with a bung shoulder easily) - it's the physical size that is a bigger difference. Try picking the revo and the outback up, and think about how you would get it onto the car when you do. The narrower width of the Revo makes them easier to handle on land (loading, carrying etc), but is also what reduces the stability. When on the water, trying reaching around behind you into an esky or the rear rod holder. This is when the revo gets tippy, especially if you're on an angle to the swell and not paying attention to it. Some people are fine with this, others struggle.
crunk wrote:I'll be going to SLH in Mornington on Friday to talk with Scott and get some information as to what I'll be needing
Scott's in the US at a Hobie event at the moment, but Richard or one of the other guys will be able to help you out.
crunk wrote:Gaff
I'm not a fan of gaffs on yaks - the amount of space and leverage you can create is limited. As for net, get one of the silicone nets - the fine mesh ones act as a wind sock.

Good luck Jeremy!
crunk
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback 2012 Golden Papaya

Post by crunk »

Ok everyone. I've been today to SLH and got quite a large amount of information.

I decided that I do want the outback after having quite a long conversation with the guy that worked there (wasn't Scott because he's in CA at the moment).

Everything I will buy but as to whether or not it's from there that much I'm not sure of and hence I've come requiring some assistance from the helpful group here!

2390 Kayak
100 Life Jacket: The one that is not with neck support. But front and back with foam. Perfectly suitable. Found out Epirbs are 399 so that's not an option at the moment and I don't think it's quite necessary.
490 Car racks ($320 Rhino's roughly) http://www.rhinorack.com.au/Vehicle_MAZ ... _4474.aspx and remainder for assistance bar side loader and tie downs
100 Anchor and trolley
340 Fish finder Just the base model in the hummingbird. $170 for the finder and then $170 for install which I assume is the battery and cabling etc etc.
150 Wheels (plastics because I'll be launching from sand)
209 Pants (These are full waterproof and enclose from kidneys down including feet in a one piece).
110 Top(Fully waterproof and match the pants
69 Shoes (Similar to crocks but just better quality. Note: might still be too wide for my narrow feet)
39 Net (To be ordered in if i want it, didn't get to see it)

All up without any discount that comes to $4,000.

My questions/thoughts:
1. Fish finder: It was nothing special, he was saying that you more so use it for depth. I did see that garmin 300c in BCF for $229 the same price Byron bought his for. I was hoping they'd do the install that I'd pay them for and just install whichever I bought. Or perhaps there are better ones. I don't want to spend more than $250 on a finder unless it can be justified. I don't see the logic in spending ~$70 less for something that doesn't do anything really for you other than depth?

2. Clothing: I love the idea that the clothing is fully waterproof and I'd be wearing thermals under it anyway so that's a little other cost to add. Because it goes from toes to kidneys it means that it should keep me super warm and dry which is ace! However I suspect that this price is quite high because it's from the store that doesn't specialize in that sort of thing. What suggestions do people have? I'd want waterproof and if toes covered that'd be great. Top and bottoms too. As per the shoes. Don't worry about that for the moment it's more dependent on my stupid narrow feet

3. Rod holder: The most popular one is $89 and that's on a ball and you can then easily adjust it. I'm suspecting though because I'm only starting out it wouldn't be that worth it. But depending on the deal they can do it might be a consideration. I'd only need one I would think seeming I'll be using probably one rod only at a time whilst I start out and they said you can do upgrades at any point in time.

4. Price: Would anyone have a rough idea as to what sort of "deal" they would do. Obviously being a business they're not going to give anything up at this stage until I'm there ready to purchase and to be fair I don't expect them too.

Note: Mum is happy for me to buy a new one and doesn't want secondhand. So sorry Byron and best of luck selling it as said last time! All the convincing is done and dusted. I'm looking at purchasing it within 2 weeks. Or at least ordering/confirming it. Also I chose yellow because it's the safest colour. And was confirmed once again how wrong I was about thinking red was a "safety colour" haha.

Really appreciate everyone's advice thus far to say the LEAST!
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

im guessing u got kokatat pants? that price is fine m8 and trust me there worth every dollar :thumbsup:
Brett
crunk
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback 2012 Golden Papaya

Post by crunk »

Bretty wrote:im guessing u got kokatat pants? that price is fine m8 and trust me there worth every dollar :thumbsup:
Yeah that's them. They come highly recommended!
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

The kokies are the best but also keep in mind u may need to swim in all your gear and please go
and tip the yak and get back in a few times i no its getting cold but better to learn b4 you go out and fall out :up:
Brett
bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Post by bj fisherman »

crunk wrote:
Bretty wrote:im guessing u got kokatat pants? that price is fine m8 and trust me there worth every dollar :thumbsup:
Yeah that's them. They come highly recommended!
When I did some research on the net, I was surprised I couldn't really find it cheaper when you add postage. I don't have them however I haven't fished winter yet.
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm
Dognut
Square eyes
kayak: .

Post by Dognut »

crunk wrote:
2390 Kayak
100 Life Jacket: The one that is not with neck support. But front and back with foam. Perfectly suitable. Found out Epirbs are 399 so that's not an option at the moment and I don't think it's quite necessary.
490 Car racks ($320 Rhino's roughly) http://www.rhinorack.com.au/Vehicle_MAZ ... _4474.aspx and remainder for assistance bar side loader and tie downs
100 Anchor and trolley
340 Fish finder Just the base model in the hummingbird. $170 for the finder and then $170 for install which I assume is the battery and cabling etc etc.
150 Wheels (plastics because I'll be launching from sand)
209 Pants (These are full waterproof and enclose from kidneys down including feet in a one piece).
110 Top(Fully waterproof and match the pants
69 Shoes (Similar to crocks but just better quality. Note: might still be too wide for my narrow feet)
39 Net (To be ordered in if i want it, didn't get to see it)
Sounds like your doing everything right.
Couple of things i would suggest,
To start out, if you only use one rod, then just get one rod holder extension. they are about $25. Used mostly for storage. My thinking is the rod will either be in your hand or not used.
2) Buy a better quality sounder and do the install yourself. its fairly easy. The garmin 300 is pretty good and the lowrance X4 series is good too.
3) A drift chute is money well spent. About $40.

Hobie, Although awesome to deal with, will rarely do much in the way of a dollar discount. But they will generally throw in an extra, like a rod holder or wheels or your sounder and trolley installation for nixif you ask nicely.
Good luck with it all///
manonaquest

Post by manonaquest »

mate honestly i have heard both the outback and the revo are equally great kayaks in there own right, my recommendation is find a way to test drive both,find the one that suits you the best,and best suits your individual abilities,as far as how much they weigh i personally dont find either of those kayaks to be overly heavy,so it really depends on the individual,you really should try them out before you buy
dinium
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by dinium »

crunk wrote:My questions/thoughts:
1. Fish finder: It was nothing special, he was saying that you more so use it for depth.
The more expensive fishfinders include GPS. I'd do the install yourself and go for either the Garmin 300c (I have one at the moment) or the Lowrance Elite 4 GPS / Fishfinder (I'm thinking of upgrading to this because of the GPS).
crunk wrote:2. Clothing: However I suspect that this price is quite high because it's from the store that doesn't specialize in that sort of thing. What suggestions do people have?
Kokatat are well regarded and they're well priced locally. if you hunt around, you might be able to find them for $30 less overseas, but do you want the hassle of having to send stuff back there if there is a problem or warranty claim? A simple issue could take a month or longer to sort out. If you get the Kokatat pants, make sure you get a decent pair of shoes that will stay on your feet. You don't want them slipping off when launching or landing and piercing the pants on a rock.
crunk wrote:3. Rod holder: The most popular one is $89 and that's on a ball
Rod holders are essential in my book. I have 2 x rod holders and 2 x Hobie rod extensions for the rear built in rod holders. The extra height provided by the extensions means my reels remain out of the salt. The Scotty mounts are around $50 with extension, the Ram mounts (ball ones) can be a little more. You can find cheaper overseas and locally for these, but be careful of the freight. Amazon is worth a look...
crunk wrote:4. Price: Would anyone have a rough idea as to what sort of "deal" they would do.
They're good guys at Mornington and while they may appear expensive, the service you will get from them far outweighs any savings you may get elsewhere. I take my Mirage drive down every 3 months and they check it over, tighten bits, lube it and make sure everything is working. I've never been charged for that.
moirae
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Revo "Fishless"

Post by moirae »

I bought the boat and the Trax2 cart from the shop and that was IT.....Bigger rudder and fins. That's all.

Everything else I want to do myself.

Safety setup, rod holders, sounders.....all of it.

IMO it is half the fun and there is so much information online that chances are someone has already had the same problems as you come across them.

There are a few very good Outbacks for sale second hand atm.....

If they had of been up for sale when I was looking I would have gobbled one up.