Getting the hang of the smoker

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Re: Getting the hang of the smoker

Post by cruiser »

wokka1 wrote:Did you smoke it whole cruiser ? How long in the smoke, how long in the brine ?
Yes the fish was smoked whole wokka1,2hrs in the smoker and less than 1hr in the brine ,might put up a few pics next time I smoke one for a bit of show and tell

cheers cruiser
mob 0423 492 759
gezmeister
The force is strong in this one
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by gezmeister »

I am curious as to what model smokers you guys use? Old-style wood smoker or electric/gas? Seems like a great way to prepare fish and other meats.

Gez.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

gezmeister wrote:I am curious as to what model smokers you guys use? Old-style wood smoker or electric/gas? Seems like a great way to prepare fish and other meats.

Gez.
I just use a Ray's cheapy. $40 when on sale. Same as this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... 691_262721
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.

Post by cruiser »

Gez thanks to Bozzie I picked up one of those wanabe webber barbies on special for 60 bucks from Aldi :thumbsup:
mob 0423 492 759
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

cruiser wrote:Gez thanks to Bozzie I picked up one of those wanabe webber barbies on special for 60 bucks from Aldi :thumbsup:

Sorry Cruiser,
Even cheaper starting Thursday 29th Sep, $49.00...........http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_19164.htm
No I don't have any affiliation
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Getting very close now...made up a simple syrup of about 4 tablespoons brown sugar, maybe a teaspoon of sea salt only and enough apple juice (not cider vinegar) to give it motor oil type viscosity. Slathered it on the filleted half of the trout that didn't get baked last night and left it for an hour. Sat it skin side down to soak up excess on paper towel but didn't remove any syrup from the flesh side. 10 minute pre heat for the smoker then the fish went in for a touch over 20 m. Superb with a subtle sweet caramelised finish to it. Skin just peeled away leaving big flakes of smokey sweet flesh.
SAM_0300 (Medium).JPG
SAM_0302 (Medium).JPG
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.

Post by cruiser »

Yum yum can almost taste it from here Wokka ,thanks for the heads up this is something thats going to be tried in the cruiser household
mob 0423 492 759
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Looking great wokka,
I smoke some chicken fillets this week, brown sugar and salt marinade, with a touch of port to get the marinade to toothpaste consistency.
Marinated it for three hours turning it over occassionally
Then I put the chicken fillets on a cake rack with a pan underneath and left them in the fridge for about an hour Turning them over once,
Till they were a silky texture.
I then smoked them for twenty minutes. I noticed that one of the fillets looked a bit uncooked around the flappy area of the fillet, I sliced through the thickest part of the other fillets and they were cooked, but decided to it another 20minutes
worked a treat
First night had it with salad and second with pasta.

I think my previous errors (still very edible but a tad salty) was leaving the meat in the marinade for toooo long.

I smoked the chicken with Prunus /plum saw dust just got the power plane out and buzzed a rather thick dead branch I had lying around
added some rosmary stalks and crushed citrus leaves
Might try some other timbers (seems strange to be paying $5 a small bag for sawdust???)
I have read that Resin timbers like pine are toxic in smokers.
Tony