Stingrays

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Chris&Tan
Apprentice
kayak: Daylite paddler

Stingrays

Post by Chris&Tan »

Know I have been fishing for most of my life now so you would of thought I would of been aware of the ole stringray barbs but however......
Anyhow after a recent barbing I have a few words of advice.

1. DONT GET STUNG, it really really really hurts
2. Have a mate tow you in if possible, ESPECIALLY if you have been nailed in the upper leg (as yaks your in that prime position), The toxins have a very strong neurotic effect, so all nerves are going nuts, if you have a heart issue this is not good (RIP STEVE) so lower your heart rate as much as possible.
3. IF you are stupid like me and you just have get stung, get a heat pack the one thats one microwave on ASAP. This will break down the neuro toxins in the poision, and thus shorten the healing time (nothing effects the pain too much, but beer in large quantities)
4. GO TO THE QUACK, even if its only a small one (mine was palm size ray) and get a antibiotic shot, this will again shorten healing time, if not you will have an open wound for months as the toxin doesn't allow for it to heal up.

This also applies to MOST sea creatures that sting, and our lovely bay is full of them, in the past two months I have boated a gurnard and a blue ring occy on a clump of weed, as well two more small rays. And for some reason we have had blue bottle jellies in the bay this year (portsea beach)
Braggo Meter = Snapper6kg, Flathead 43cm, Whiting 41cm, Bream 350mm (on pennisula) Squid 1.5kg, Gurnard 45cm,
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Stingrays

Post by maverick »

I was stung by a salt water catfish on Lord Howe Island, I have never felt such incredible pain. The local hospital gave me 2 tablets, one to take one now and one when you I got home (the holiday accommodation). The first tablet slowed me right down, the second one knocked me out for 4 hours and when I woke up the pain was gone. In a matter of minutes I went from having a pleasant fish on the jetty, to an intense pain that worked its way up from hand to a point where I wanted to cut my arm off. So be very cautious with any stingy thing. Good post Chris & Tan.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
nasman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Wavedance Sierra

Post by nasman »

Thanks for the warning & info. I pull up weed often and grab it without a second thought. Because i fish alone often, I need this kind of info. Could save you one day just by being aware? What else is out there? Share your experiences.
Regards,
Nasman.
Outback Fisherman
><((((º>......><((((º>.....<º))))><.....<º))))><
DantheFishoMan
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by DantheFishoMan »

I agree. I can speak from experience as well, being jabbed in the shoulder by a Gurnard. OUCH!!!!!
Cheers Dan

"live it, breathe it, love it!"

maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

and definitely watch for the blue ring octopus if you go scalloping ( or land a large clump of sea flora when fishing). On 2 occasssions I have got home and emptied the esky of scallops to find a blue ring octopus mixed in with them.
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

maverick wrote:and definitely watch for the blue ring octopus if you go scalloping ( or land a large clump of sea flora when fishing). On 2 occasssions I have got home and emptied the esky of scallops to find a blue ring octopus mixed in with them.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Is that because they hide in empty scallop shells? or did you just manage to pick it up somehow with the shells?
Poised on the edge of sanity.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Sometimes the occassional scallop has stuff attached to its shell. Sometimes I just don't know how, maybe they do hide inside. :?
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

ewww, sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

sent a tightness through my own ring valve when I found them in the esky.
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

haha I bet!