wavedance Sierra Review

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
kads

wavedance Sierra Review

Post by kads »

well, I ended up buying the wavedance sierra, and took it on its maiden voyage today on the patto. Launched it at the first boat ramp just as you get into the carpark, there was nice little sand patch, easy peasy...went down towards the freeway, about 1 km, then took it out into the bay to the first post which would be about 400 metres out, then back to the boat ramp.
Keeping in mind Im a novice, Ill give it my best shot of a review.

Pretty stable at 2.7m, quite impressed, even in some bow waves from a stinker, it was still very stable. Water came up to 40 -50 mm below the floor in the scuppers, and never any further, even through bow waves and a few small waves in the bay. Perfect size cockpit for me being 5'10, knees very slightly bent, felt very comfortable. A tiny bit of water was in the foot well from paddling, and about 2 tablespoons of water got into the seat area, I first noticed this when I was in the bay, I lifted one leg up abit to look in the back scupper to see if thats where the water was coming in, and the yak tipped to one side and I thought I was going to be testing out my lifejacket, but the yak never tipped, just a slight weight difference from lifting my butt cheek. Easy to paddle, just have to practice my paddling so as to use the blades correctly to get full thrust from them. I first was paddling with the blades about 1.5 feet out from the yak on each side, then pulled them in to the hull so the blades were 3 inches from the hull and keeping the paddle more in an upright postion per stroke, and I noticed the yak felt really good, started making good speed and was even creating bow waves..The deluxe padded seat that wavedance gave me (A new design they just got in recently) felt really good, pulled the straps up so it hugged my back. The fibreglass shaft paddle was nice and light and I had no problems with it. The yak tracked good, but with power strokes the nose went from left to right about 1 foot with the strokes, but still easy to keep moving in a straight line. I took a rod with me with a frenzy lure just to try out the rod holders, flicked the lure around on numerous spots on the water way to no avail...but I wasnt there to fish...I was there to test the yak...was speaking to bloke fishing from the bank, which turned out to be FORBSEY from this forum, so good to meet you forbsey, hope you ended up catching some fish. There was a little bit of slap on the bow from small ripples on the water, but it didnt effect the handling, while drifting, the wind was pushing me around a bit, but an anchor would fix that problem...well, it wouldn't be a problem in PPB, just in the patto it was a bit frustrating having to paddle back to the centre of the river every 4 mins. With the yak weighing only 17 KG was easy to lift from the car to the water and back again, probably wouldn't need a trolley, except a trolley would be easier for beach launches so you can load the yak up with rods and buckets and stuff, then just wheel it all down in one go....so there it is...I know its not a hobie or a king fisher, but its my first yak and I could afford it...when I become more experienced, I will get a hobie or something with a great reputation..all in all very good for $550. If I had to name a dislike, I would say that at 2.7m long it isnt a very fast yak and the wind tends to blow it around abit, but for what I want it for its perfect, Im only going to be exploring the coast line from frankston to safetybeach. Out of 10 with my novice skills ... I'll give it 8/10. :thumbsup:
Last edited by kads on 27 Jun 2011, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Re: wavedance Sierra

Post by SurfanFish »

Good to hear you are happy with the Sierra mate. I regularly fish with a guy who has one. He has upgraded now but was always happy with the performance of the little wavedance. He also said it was a fairly dry ride, compared to my espri anyway.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Paps
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback & Heritage Featherlite 9.5

Post by Paps »

Congratulations mate!

such a great feeling getting your first yak, me only buying mine a couple of months ago! :yahoo:

A little daunting, if you have had no experience like me lol... The day i bought mine and took it for a run was the first time i had been in a yak and i was self guiding, but figured the basics out very quickly!

Just know your limitations, build your trips to your experience and cherish your yak :thumbsup:
kads

Post by kads »

thanks fellas...yer was a little daunting, but settled right into it with in 20 minutes...just have to get some squid ink on it now, probably hit mornington soon, seeing the the weather is pretty good atm.!!
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Great read glad you enjoyed your first trip out.
Also you brought what you could afford and your happy
with it so thats all that matters Cheers and happy Yacking.Jim :thumbsup:
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Re: wavedance Sierra Review

Post by Bozzie »

Sounds like a top ride!
Buy what you can afford,
Enjoy what you own!
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

jessejaay
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by jessejaay »

They look like a great kayak !
Cheers,
Jesse.

Perch76
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Malibu Stealth 12 & Wavedance Sierra

Post by Perch76 »

The Sierra's are a great little yak for the money-light and easy to throw around and they fit in the back of a lot of stationwagons. As with all little yaks you get a bit of sideways swing in the front when you really try push out the revs but thats the same as all sub 3mt yaks. Great in the surf as they are easy to turn when you dig down on the paddle. They sit pretty high in the water(but thats not a problem for us bigger blokes) so the wind can push em around a bit but they ride nice and dry even with 110KG plonked on board. All in all they are a top yak for the money and awesome fun in the tight water.
THE FORMAL BIT
THIS BLOG IS NOT SPONSORED OR SANCTIONED BY SUPER RETAIL GROUP.SUPER RETAIL GROUP IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF THIS BLOG.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Don't be thinking you have an inferior product Kads. If it suits your budget and gets you where you need to go in reasonable comfort and does it safely then it's a good yak. And the fish aren't gunna give a rats what you are paddling.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Got any pictures if it?