rolled my yak

Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

rolled my yak

Post by Drifta-X »

last monday i was out with member boz round werribee
and well yes i rolled the yak
from what i can gather i had my front hatck adjar (outback) and small bow waves where putting a tiny bit of wayer inside every time.
well all of a sudden the thing started to go to the left hard, no sudden wave or anything.
omg you have never heard a fully grown man shout for help like this in your like, i was totally shitting myself more then ever b4.
thank god there was my yaking bud who was able to calm me down a bit and a stink boat who helped me out.
ende up loosing bout 5 packs of hooks, a rapala knife and some surecatch plyers and my anchor
oh and a 2 month old iphone4
the phone was the big loss, and i haven't quite been the same since, yeah no phone is a real prick, but there is something else that just doesn't feel right, even now.
i haven't been on the forums till now and haven't gone fishing. it really shook me up something fierce.
i am hoping that it hasn't affected me to much and that i can get back out there and enjoy my fishing.
well thats all for now, thinking about it all happening again is giving me a yuck uneasy feeling.
Rob
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Re: rolled my yak

Post by wokka1 »

You're obviously still not comfortable talking about it but...would you indulge me ( no problems if not)

Were you wearing a Pfd ?
once you'd calmed down how easy was righting, emptying the yak ?
How did you go remounting.?
Had you done any drills on falling out and getting back in ? If so did they help or did panic fry the thought processes a bit ?

Non judgemental stuff just curious as first hand experience can be invaluable.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
IceManDude
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by IceManDude »

some good questions there wokka.

One thing i need to do personally is practice re entry, i had plans to do it over summer but never got around to it.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Hi Rob, from what I have heard you were really lucky. Alcohol and water don't mix!

You were very lucky bevan was there and that a boat was nearby too to assist.

As long as you learn from this then you should be fine. As far as going out again goes, for a while try to head out in a group wherever possible and maybe stay in close.

Have a good look at the safety forum and see what gear you need. Practicing re-entries are important too but not much fun at the moment. Maybe we should organize a group session when it's warmer.

If you need a buddy to go out with then give me a hoi and we can tee something up at millers sometime.

Good to hear you are ok!
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Drifta-X
Yak Master

Post by Drifta-X »

i had a pfd type 1.... i know know how to make it work propper as i didn't b4, lucky i very strong swimmer.
didn't calm down till sure as all i could think of was my 1k phone.
getting it right way was had and had to make sure not to also tip boz as he was helping me, first attemp fail, 2nd got it up and tryed to mound and rolled it while mounting.
stink boat cam to rescue...
never done practice rolls, but allready decided when i go again thats the first thing i going to do is spend a day doing emergency procedures...
it has really screwed with my head this whole thing, and i have been through some nasty S#!^ b4.
for some reasone this has gotten to me.
but as the saying goes, got to get back on that horse.
bigges thing i'm worried bout is that i'll go out again and be likne "na screw this crap" and get rid of it. i love yaking so much from the little i have done that i don't want a little yet expencive accident deter my mental yacking abblilty
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Thanks mate...remember, everyone screws up from time to time. As long as you learn from it.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
wokka1
Yak Master

Post by wokka1 »

Been thinking bout a paddling course I did on the Goulbourn many moons ago and I remember this...If you are trying to assist someone in trouble (from your own kayak)... as long as they are conscious and capable you are often better to use your bow or stern...either for them to grab on to to keep them afloat or as a stable platform to allow them to right their own craft. That way you can maintain position and your kayak is far more stable along it's length than from the side. You'll also maintain your ability to paddle, either for stability or to back out of trouble.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

I can imagine it was a scrotum-shriveling experience!

Take heart and think of it as a learning experience - you'll have a lot better idea of what to do if it happens again.

As for the phone - rejoice (apart from the $1K down the crapper) I ditched my mobile about 6 months ago and never looked back...

Mike.
Drifta-X
Yak Master

Post by Drifta-X »

mingle wrote:I can imagine it was a scrotum-shriveling experience!

Take heart and think of it as a learning experience - you'll have a lot better idea of what to do if it happens again.

As for the phone - rejoice (apart from the $1K down the crapper) I ditched my mobile about 6 months ago and never looked back...

Mike.
adrenalin kept me warm as i didn't feel it to later, but there was some severe shrinkage.
my phone was my main conection to this and another fishing forum, aside from general contact the gps and navionics where valuble items to have on it.
now at smoko and luch i actually got to talk with the idiots i work with insead of reading what you intelegent blokes have to say lol.
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Welcome back Rob, was hoping you would show up. You're welcome to buddy with me again and, hopefully, we'll catch some of those big lizards the west is renowned for. Keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll be okay next time.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439