Finally Tested Full Sail Setup

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Finally Tested Full Sail Setup

Post by GoneFishn »

3min of vid nothing special but you can see how it all works. The only tweek needed is to raise the outrigger pontoons about an inch or 2 and all done : :yahoo:
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Re: Finally Tested Full Sail Setup

Post by Smish »

Nice work! Went out today as well, 5 to 15 knots but not much chop, perfect for a bit of a sail, not another soul on the water despite the warm weather and pinkies plus salmon on the chew. Its a buzz when you reap the fruits of your labour.

Cheers,

Andrew
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Nice setup Gonfishin. Are the leeboards doing anything? :thumbsup:
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Nice work getting it all together, looks like it all held up well and you could get some decent speed out of it. Should make the kingy run a lot easier, if the wind plays nice...
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Smish wrote:Nice work! Went out today as well, 5 to 15 knots but not much chop, perfect for a bit of a sail, not another soul on the water despite the warm weather and pinkies plus salmon on the chew. Its a buzz when you reap the fruits of your labour.

Cheers,

Andrew
Thats funny I didn't turn a reel. I trolled while sailing all the way up to Apex Park and back to Millers, didn't even see anything on the sounder.
Bozzie wrote:Nice setup Gonfishin. Are the leeboards doing anything? :thumbsup:
They make a big difference. The further I lower them into the water the more I point into the wind :up: A lot of the time I use the leeboards than the rudder. You can see when they take affect as they lower and push into the side of the hull while the other automatically plains to the surface.
ratfish wrote:Nice work getting it all together, looks like it all held up well and you could get some decent speed out of it. Should make the kingy run a lot easier, if the wind plays nice...
Yes it will, look out Kings :twisted: I reckon I can cut the trip down from 1hr to 30min using the sail in conjunction with the paddle :evilgrin:(maybe)

I have upgraded the mast to Stainless Steel with a dowel insert. The old aluminum one developed a fracture around the bolt hole where the stays where tied off to. This time I haven't drilled a hole there, instead used a Bimini tube clamp which worked a treat.
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Nice work. :thumbsup:
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

GoneFishn wrote:
Smish wrote:Nice work! Went out today as well, 5 to 15 knots but not much chop, perfect for a bit of a sail, not another soul on the water despite the warm weather and pinkies plus salmon on the chew. Its a buzz when you reap the fruits of your labour.

Cheers,

Andrew
Thats funny I didn't turn a reel. I trolled while sailing all the way up to Apex Park and back to Millers, didn't even see anything on the sounder.
I generally fish about 1km SSE out from Altona pier in 6-7m, usually find a few schools hovering around the nooks in patches of reef. Better quality fish seem to get active around dusk, haven't had much luck at dawn lately... noticed the same at Willy a little while ago. In close the sounder looks very quiet between 3 to 5m, last time I saw the netters they were working between 100-400m from shore, so quite close... that might have impacted on areas around the Millers launch. I've also got a theory that fishing in the colder weather you need to pick a sunny day where there's a run out tide at sunset, choose a spot where the warmer water drains off a shallow reef with darker rocks into a deeper hole that opens into the bay. Lots of food in that water and a the slight rise in temperature should activate larger predators hanging out in those pools. A great spot for this is 360m SSE of the breakwall on the west side of Willy beach and 350 to 600mm SSW off the back of the footy oval... but I'm sure everyone is already familiar with these marks... no big secret, just comes down to timing!