old knowledge or why reinvent the wheel

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: old knowledge or why reinvent the wheel

Post by Ghurkin »

GoneFishn wrote:Some more canoe sailing
you can buy plans to build these outta ply, some rod holders and a bucket fer fish and away you go :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Hey Ghurkin hope your leg is getting better!

Inspiring stuff… you don’t want to get into this sailing caper… its addictive! :twisted:

I know everyone’s been down on the weather lately but Sunday is looking like a pearler of a day for a bit of a sail… actually two bits now… THIS is what I’m talking about… :roll:

I can’t help myself! I’ve now added a jib!!! :shock:

Arrrrrgh! I need help!!!

Check this out! Bound to be the next mod for the balloon!!! :lol: :lol:

A couple of x-raps would go nuts behind a rig like this!.. :yahoo:

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Smish wrote:Hey Ghurkin hope your leg is getting better!

Inspiring stuff… you don’t want to get into this sailing caper… its addictive! :twisted:

I know everyone’s been down on the weather lately but Sunday is looking like a pearler of a day for a bit of a sail… actually two bits now… THIS is what I’m talking about… :roll:

Arrrrrgh! I need help!!!

Thats mad :yahoo:
eagle4031
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Post by eagle4031 »

in regard to the old way of doing things, my father built 2 canoes out of canvas then joined them to make a catamaran. He used to go way out to fish, Most would not be game to do that ina canvas vessel
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Smish wrote:Hey Ghurkin hope your leg is getting better!

Arrrrrgh! I need help!!!

Gday smish, the leg is getting there slowly.
Sailing is always something Ive wanted to do but have never done so why not start with a yak? addictive? im guessing it is thats just some thing I'll deal with :up: mate the "zeplin" is looking sexy, keep up the good work.

Thats an awesome video :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

eagle4031 wrote:in regard to the old way of doing things, my father built 2 canoes out of canvas then joined them to make a catamaran. He used to go way out to fish, Most would not be game to do that ina canvas vessel
G,day Bruce,

I admire your father, not afraid to try something new, Im guessin he had a shitload of fun and loved what he did, lets do the same :up:
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Re the Sail Rocket and being "Mad", I guess that would make his earlier attempts down right "Crayayayzy".

As for the sailing canoe's, they certainly are getting them going.

Apart from what I have done on the AI and a small cat for a while, I honestly know very little about sailing, but I do not think you need to go to such extremes, sail wise, to achieve a similar outcome, and outriggers would definitely help. They may have big sails, but with the canoe on such an angle and so much air spilling off the side of the sail, I think they would do just as well with a single sail or smaller sails and an outrigger getting less air loss and more drive from a more erect sail/sails. Scott Lovig does some sailing and may be able to help, shed more wind (edit: I mean light) on the topic.

The beauty of using a canoe over an SOT kayak (I am guessing), that having a deck, you can get your legs bellow for leverage and balance, would help you get started until you are fast enough to climb out on a aka (or what ever you call a plank sticking out) for greater leverage against the wind. It will also allow a lower centre of gravity in the tacks and turns?

There are several two and even a three mast kayaks on the [urlhttp://www.watertribe.com/Default.aspx]Watertribe[/url] website and there members video's on youtube, try typing in Ultimate Florida Challenge and you should find a few, this guy I linked to has a few good video's that show how gruelling it is and a look at a few kayaks rigged to sail.
http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/race-around-florida/

When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

ELM wrote:Re the Sail Rocket and being "Mad", I guess that would make his earlier attempts down right "Crayayayzy".

As for the sailing canoe's, they certainly are getting them going.

Apart from what I have done on the AI and a small cat for a while, I honestly know very little about sailing, but I do not think you need to go to such extremes, sail wise, to achieve a similar outcome, and outriggers would definitely help. They may have big sails, but with the canoe on such an angle and so much air spilling off the side of the sail, I think they would do just as well with a single sail or smaller sails and an outrigger getting less air loss and more drive from a more erect sail/sails. Scott Lovig does some sailing and may be able to help, shed more wind (edit: I mean light) on the topic.

The beauty of using a canoe over an SOT kayak (I am guessing), that having a deck, you can get your legs bellow for leverage and balance, would help you get started until you are fast enough to climb out on a aka (or what ever you call a plank sticking out) for greater leverage against the wind. It will also allow a lower centre of gravity in the tacks and turns?

There are several two and even a three mast kayaks on the [urlhttp://www.watertribe.com/Default.aspx]Watertribe[/url] website and there members video's on youtube, try typing in Ultimate Florida Challenge and you should find a few, this guy I linked to has a few good video's that show how gruelling it is and a look at a few kayaks rigged to sail.
http://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/race-around-florida/

some good points there Elm :up: , the good thing is lift from a sail does not depend on gravity or being 'erect", sails and wings work just as well upright as they do on an angle, lift is lift and does not need to be up or sideways, in fact on an angle they sometimes get the "ground affect" from semi compressed air squeezed between the sail and the water, thats why birds fly so low over water on a windy day and why planes
have to push down to land when close to the ground, a smaller sail would probably err on the safer side but the main thing is, the video shows how fast an old canoe can go with just simple rigging and large sails, to each there own and there are as many opinions about sailing as there are about most things in life
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

the good thing is lift from a sail does not depend on gravity or being 'erect", sails and wings work just as well upright as they do on an angle, lift is lift and does not need to be up or sideways, in fact on an angle they sometimes get the "ground affect" from semi compressed air squeezed between the sail and the water, thats why birds fly so low over water on a windy day and why planes
have to push down to land when close to the ground,
See, I told you I knew nothing (as I pull my head in below my shoulders) Good points, and just goes to show, never to old to learn, and always listen to your elders :lol:

To be honest, I have often wondered why the sail on the sail rocket, is on such a lean, always thought it was about leverage.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

ELM wrote:
the good thing is lift from a sail does not depend on gravity or being 'erect", sails and wings work just as well upright as they do on an angle, lift is lift and does not need to be up or sideways, in fact on an angle they sometimes get the "ground affect" from semi compressed air squeezed between the sail and the water, thats why birds fly so low over water on a windy day and why planes
have to push down to land when close to the ground,
See, I told you I knew nothing (as I pull my head in below my shoulders) Good points, and just goes to show, never to old to learn, and always listen to your elders :lol:

To be honest, I have often wondered why the sail on the sail rocket, is on such a lean, always thought it was about leverage.
Elm I know even less than you and truth be told, Ive never sailed :wtf: but over the last few years I have read alot of ifo so am just spouting other peoples ideas, Ive always been interested in sailing so look out for the Kona Sail Rocket/barge :lol:

Elders :wtf: