Elephant shark sting

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Elephant shark sting

Post by Ghurkin »

ELM wrote:Might pay to give your local Hospital Emergency a all Ghurkin, if they carry a slime similar to the stingray barb, it is extremely toxic and wounds need to be completely cleaned ASAP. If it is similar to a ray, warm to hot water, take care not to burn yourself of course, but as warm/hot as you can safely bare, will reduce any pain sensation.

Hope all goes well cobber and well done to SquidInk for giving a hand (lucky he was around).
thanks for the suggestions Elm, had a good sleep in this morning and the leg looks much the same, swollen and puffy, its alot easier to hobble on though its still a bit unstable, wound looks ok its only a 5mm slit in my leg who would have thought a little wound like that could cause so much grief :wtf: anyways feeling much better and staying at home today, good time to do some work on the sail design and other stuff for the yak, cheers boys :thumbsup:
Digger wrote:Great legs!

Bad luck mate!

Dig
Thanks Digger, I work out at the gym so hence the great legs and firm but resilient buns :lol:

maverick wrote:you idiot.
Gee :eh: thanks Mav, youre right in a way though, should have used the net :oops:

maverick wrote:Steve Ghurkin Irwin
"Ghurkwin" I like it :up: perhaps I should run a poll (if I knew how) to have a vote and see if its worth cahnging my name again :lol:

paddlepop wrote:
one the serious note... hope your feel a bit better in the 'morn and as the venerable and erudite (no its not an adhesive) Elm says.... hospital if it gets any worse
.....you may experience slight feelings of euphoria, unstable or wobbly in the legs and being less inhibited then usual......

in which case STOP DRINKING !!!!
let us know how you go tomorrow...we expect a post to advise on your health. Take care mate.
Thanks Nick, feeling better wont be going out today though :up:
paddlepop wrote:love it Mav.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

now to be know as ...... Steve Ghurwin :clap: :clap: :clap:
utter bastards :lol: :lol:
gom wrote:
maverick wrote:you idiot.
That's not very considerate, Mav - bluddy funny :idiot: , but not considerate

Here's one for you, Steve :cheers: and another :happy123: and so on :pint:
At last, a gentleman amomgst all the riff raff :lol: ;) :clap:
Kiwidundee wrote:Who would have thought that a little prick could hurt our Ghurkin. :o :o :o Hope there are no complications and you are on the mend sone. So how deep did it go?
it wasnt a little prick Bro, was a biggun :wtf: Im ok and thanks for the well wishes, how deep did it go?? we still talking fishing :evilgrin:
Not sure Craig, the spike on the shark is long and narrow, Ive got a 5mm cut on my leg so it might have gone in 5mm or more, from the lack of pain around the wound and the size of the bloodstain on my pants I would guess they have an anesthetic type compound and an anticoagulant as well, big words ay Bro :up: just remember enshew obfuscation
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Tormentor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Jem Southwind (built)

Post by Tormentor »

Kiwidundee wrote:Who would have thought that a little prick could hurt our Ghurkin. :o :o :o Hope there are no complications and you are on the mend sone. So how deep did it go?
It wouldn't have been the first time a little prick caused pain - I have three kids and a mortgage... :roll: :roll:

Looks like Mitch has been blessed with a little prick too..

TorMentor (now the username makes sense)
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

the one good thing about getting stung is Ive had the slackest day of my life for a long time and got to stay on here hanging it on others that hang it on me, he he he :lol: guess I deserve it though :evilgrin:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Definitely see a doctor asap...

The main danger from this type of injury is infection. A tetanus booster would be the minimum your doc will give you, but you'll almost certainly be on antibiotics too...

Don't leave it any longer.

Mike.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

thanks Mike, thanks for your concern and Ill certainly keep my eye on it, it does look fine and the missus keeps checking it every now and then, wound shows no signs of going red or tracking up the leg so looks like I might have got away with out too much complication.

cheers Ghurkwin :eh:
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

Just thought I would post an update as a few of us catch elephant fish and it seems they can be more harmfull than we think.

tuesday my leg was almost back to normal, swelling had reduced and I could almost walk with out a limp :up: , last night (Wednesday) I had one of the worst nights sleep of my life, pain every time I tried to move :down: , leg is puffed back up again and the pain has travelled down my leg :wtf: . I did go to work but was home by 11am and saw the doc at 11.45, Im now on antibiotics, antihistamines and cruthches.

Guess I should have taken some of your advice and seen a doctor earlier :oops: , there just wasnt that much to see except for the swelling and even now the skin color is normal. In future if I hook one of these beasties it is not coming aboard and thats fer sure.

be carefull with elephant sharks. :up:

Cheers Ghurkwin
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Most quacks wont mess around with puncture wounds, even if ya tetanus is up to date they'll still whack some penicillin straight into the wound. Hopefully ya got it all sorted now. Never know where those elephants have been stickin their appendages :o
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Post by herbie »

Well we know where one has been puttin' it. Wonder how he is doing. Reckon he's telling his mates about the funny looking fella that tried to impale himself on his spike.....

Ghurk, hope you're feeling better soon
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

wokka1 wrote:Most quacks wont mess around with puncture wounds, even if ya tetanus is up to date they'll still whack some penicillin straight into the wound. Hopefully ya got it all sorted now. Never know where those elephants have been stickin their appendages :o
Mate i feel like a pincushion, reckon if I have a beer Ill look like a sprinkler :)
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict

Post by Ghurkin »

herbie wrote:Well we know where one has been puttin' it. Wonder how he is doing. Reckon he's telling his mates about the funny looking fella that tried to impale himself on his spike.....

Ghurk, hope you're feeling better soon
this weekend is a good time for me to try out some ellie cake/ pattie recipes, at least Ill be eating one of the bastards :evilgrin:

thanks for the well wishes. :up: