lighting: does this exist?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
squizzy
The force is strong in this one
kayak: kingfisher

Re: lighting: does this exist?

Post by squizzy »

B4 u think of any yak lights I would consider sending fishphil a pm about his yak lights, there is no way known you could miss him and he didn't have them on a huge pole, just a big strip down both sides of his kayak. It could be seen easier than the Abeltasman, so bright when we were out with him we were scared that the stink boaters blinded by fishophil super lumens would in a confused state run us all over.
gom
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: pa (olive/green)

Post by gom »

Came across this in a mag - could be easily adapted to a yak. Haven't seen it fitted anywhere and no affiliation
http://www.korrlighting.com.au/
Yak PBs - Snapper 69cm/4.2kg; flathead 45cm; pike 70cm; tailor 30cm; bream 36cm; whiting 37cm; gar 34cm
lampukameister
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback (x2) and Oasis

Post by lampukameister »

these worn in your hat look interesting

they are in the whitworths online catalog but they did not have them in the store in town last week when I went in to check

http://www.navilight.net/en/filmer/360.html

http://www.navilight.net/en/products_360.html

GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

What about a length of LED flexi strip made into the likes of a headland. I'm sure I have seen a 9v version at Jaycar. You would be able to fit it all onto a Baseball type cap no problems. It would be like the lights you can get that clip onto the peak of a cap but allround.
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

Problem with hats ...... from experience folks :lol: they fall off when you hit the water ! :down: :oops: (just ask cheater he can attest to my loss!)

You really dont want to go O/board at night AND find you've lost your lights too. Theres really nothing like a 7 or 8Ah battery sealed in the hull running a decent set of LEDs on a removeable pole that wont dislodge or stop working after you've righted the yak.

IMHO always plan for the worst case scenario.....same is true for my ourigger - if at can't handle the big stuff then its a liablity and could end up as twsited mess that could hinder a safe return to shore....
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
drewry
kayak: hobie outback 2011

Post by drewry »

Hey Mate

i auctually love my night fishing, and am doing more and more on my yak now by myself.
i fitted a LED 360light to my yak, its super bright, and runs of a 12v battery "same as whats out of a jump starter", hooked it up to the sounder too.
can easily run 3-4 trips. (thesed in my backyard)
the plastic base is water sealed, and has the +/- connectors in it
the pole simply plugs in when needed and wala. (pic below,)

the only issue i have now is im a super highway for bugs its that bright.

oh yeah, and i found this really nice ultra portable tourch, Len lenser P7 ($36 bucks on ebay) brighter than a dolpan torch, 60h battery, and small enough to fit in your pocket. its worth every cent.
Attachments
With Pole
With Pole
Base
Base
IMAG0134.jpg (134.62 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Post by fishsmith »

Don't mean to be rude Ross but if your out there at night without lights your an Idiot...
g factor
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie sport

Post by g factor »

problem solved :)
Attachments
P1010559.JPG
194?id=583603321692194&sk=app_251458316228
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

drewry wrote:Hey Mate

i auctually love my night fishing, and am doing more and more on my yak now by myself.
i fitted a LED 360light to my yak, its super bright, and runs of a 12v battery "same as whats out of a jump starter", hooked it up to the sounder too.

oh yeah, and i found this really nice ultra portable tourch, Len lenser P7 ($36 bucks on ebay) brighter than a dolpan torch, 60h battery, and small enough to fit in your pocket. its worth every cent.
g'day drewry, Not sure what you have done to your light, but I used to have one very similar, waterproofed everything, or so I thought. The one thing I forgot was the inside of the pipe running up at the base. One night I head off for a night fish and the light would not work, I found I had not sealed the pipe when salt water had gone in on a previous trip and corrosion had eaten apart the light.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

drewry
kayak: hobie outback 2011

Post by drewry »

ELM wrote:
drewry wrote:Hey Mate

g'day drewry, Not sure what you have done to your light, but I used to have one very similar, waterproofed everything, or so I thought. The one thing I forgot was the inside of the pipe running up at the base. One night I head off for a night fish and the light would not work, I found I had not sealed the pipe when salt water had gone in on a previous trip and corrosion had eaten apart the light.

Hey Elm,
Thanks for the heads up, I usually spray it every trip, and I'm yet do get it wet.
After the advice I will open it up and seal it better
Cheers