lighting: does this exist?

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
breambob
The force is strong in this one
kayak: malibu mini x

lighting: does this exist?

Post by breambob »

So last night im anchored onto a good patch of pinkies off williamstown and having a ball. But its about 5pm and the sun will go down soon and there are a few boats trawling around so im thinking i should probably head in soon considering i dont have any lights on my mini x. I look over my shoulder to see a clunker of an old wooden boat heading straight for me about 100 meters away but i wasnt really worried until one of the rods he's trawling starts bending over with a fish on. I could see the driver not looking where he was going more worried about his fishing rod out the back and to make it all more difficult at that moment i also hook onto a hard fighting fish of my own! was about to shout out at him but there were a couple of young kids on board who saw me in the end and avoided the collision by about 10 meters.

Got me thinking I should probably start to think about installing lights on the yak. I reckon a light that can be seen from 360degrees would be good but that would mean i need to attach a pole for it onto the yak. So if i dont want to install a pole in the yak, what is the highest point already: the top of my head. what if i had some kind of hat that had a light on top of it? This could be something that gets chucked in the hatch without much planning etc and can be quickly deployed if needed. There will be no light getting in my eyes either. the only problem is that due to a resemblance to a certain rediculous cartoon character i might get run down on purpose:
inspector_gadget1.jpg
inspector_gadget1.jpg (14.42 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Does a product like this already exist or will i need to DIY it? and is it just the silliest idea ever.... :roll:
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: lighting: does this exist?

Post by Ghurkin »

I like your way of thinking Ross, dont know of any product available and a light on the head raises the question, if we eventually are required to have a tail light, where are you going to put that :wtf:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

Bit like a lighthouse on your head? :evilgrin:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

No sorry, do not know of anything but I love the way you think, ingenious!!!!!!
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

You can definately get the old style strobes in 12 V...Eg, amber, blue, red warning lights for road workers and emergency vehicles. Dunno if they come in clear lenses though.
Something like this maybe ?. this one is amber though

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=498
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

A hard hat with a bit of PVC tubing ( and a flashey waterproof light)
all do-able
Why don't you just install a light on a pole on your crate?? Mr Gadgit?
M
http://www.scubadoctor.com.au/diveshop/ ... ts_id=1745
there are a number of LED stregths and varations
Attachments
kayak smurfff.jpeg
Yacker
Yak Master
kayak: Yellow PA and red Q kayak

Post by Yacker »

What about one of those flashing strobe lights that you see on push bikes? They can be seen a long way of and are light weight LED's?
If you faced it up vertically and put a diffuser over it, might do the trick :idea:
Many and strange are the universes that drift like bubbles in the foam upon the River of Time
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

Yacker wrote:What about one of those flashing strobe lights that you see on push bikes? They can be seen a long way of and are light weight LED's?
If you faced it up vertically and put a diffuser over it, might do the trick :idea:

I've used this attached to the back of a hat in the past, puts out plenty of light and the pattern/flashing helps it to stand out from the background lights. Not as cool as a cone on the head though...
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Worth remembering, white signal lights in marine terms, a solid white light that shines 360 degree's is the boat at anchor signal/Stern Light. A white flashing light, as in a strobe light, is to signal "man overboard" and that is why some PLB's and EPERBS are fitted with strobes.

Also worth noting;
International Collision Regulations‎ > ‎Part D - Sound And Light Signals‎ > ‎
Rule 36 - Signals to attract attention
If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorized elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.

While the regulations for kayaks here in Victoria do not require a fixed white light or port/starboard side lights, if you wish to attempt to do it right under Internationally recognised lights, this may give you some advice; OTEN Maritime Studies - Maritime Training for GPH, Coxswain, Master, Deck Watch keeper and Marine Engine Driver (MED) qualifications - Part C - Lights and shapes But remember, a recreational boat/kayak etc, trolling fishing lines, and being used for fishing, is not a fishing vessel.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp ... reeLantern

Anaconda had this today. The one I looked at was 52 lumen for 25 hours. Around $50 on sale. All around white light, about 6 inch high, 2.5 inch diameter. Might give you the nutty professor look you are after :)
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other