Outriggers

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Re: Outriggers

Post by paddlepop »

... tried the RAM mount as an amas holder after seeing it on another post/ you tube and was sorely dissapointed with the RAM mount - $100 for something I have to now use as a fishing rod holder ! :lol:
I have thought about something like this and have tried sourcing beach umbrella fittings that allow you to lock in a particular angle. I have one from an old brolly and may have to wait for the next hardwaste collection to get the second one :lol: :lol:
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

The mount for the aerial on my stinka is similar to the umbrella mount idea - and it is made for marine use. Shouldn't be hard to find them somewhere. :?:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

Ive almost made one float.
Roughly about 1.2 long and 200 wide. It could probably be a bit thinner but hey, its my first go at this.
Its more a version to use when sailing but when its done the plans can be either cut down or extended to make them longer for whatever they are needed for.
So hopefully ill be able to test fit this weekend and if it goes together ok ill draw up the plans and put them on here somewhere :thumbsup:
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Great stuff Pete can't wait to see it. How heavy would you say it is and how do you plan to attach them.

Have you come up with anything for a leeboard yet.
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Peterj »

I have no idea on all accounts as yet. :lol: As light as possible for the first one though.
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Peterj »

this is what im making at the moment, hopefully by the end of next week they will be finished.
Not to sure about the mounting bars. The pontoons are 1.2 mtrs long and really to my way of thinking a bit to long for a single bar unless its a loose mount to let each pivot on it's centre point

Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Peter just a thought but I imagined (my two bobs worth) that it would be better to have a sharper bottomed hull
causing less drag?
found this
http://www.kayrak.ca/products.htm#
are you planing to use it for fishing or sailing or both?
Tony
What materials are you using?
Attachments
polyethylenehull outriggers.jpg
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Peterj wrote: bit to long for a single bar unless its a loose mount to let each pivot on it's centre point
]
That's how the sidekicks work so they ride the wave action rather than plowing in nose first and I guess it also lessens drag.
I know you can probably find info online but if you guys want some close up pics of how the sidekicks setup let me know. I'll have the yak out a fair bit this week so a few extra pics along with those of the fish I catch ( :?: ) won't be a problem

Regards,
Wokka.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

Post by Mordy »

Thanks wokka some detail pics would be great, mounting points and how and where they are fixed to your yak.
I think I will wait till next summer before I spend any more hard earnt on my yak.
Do you sail with them or just for extra stability?
Tony
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Peterj »

the pics are not to scale and more an artists rendition of the actual pods im making. They are stitch and glue ( hot glue gun glue) and will be glassed scaled down and modified from a free small kayak plan that had a flat bottom.
The pods themselves will have cost about 20 dollars each to make. Thing is that i really don't think to we need to be to perfect here with wave piercing design etc cos if sidekicks work, pvc tubes work then these will work.
Once ive made the first set i will have learnt allot about designing them and be able to make ones to suit the application i want them for.