Mount Supports

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Mount Supports

Post by Peterj »

Now if you've been following our sail making exploits youd know weve been working on getting things right.

Part of my problem was the the removable mount slid across the deck causing the sail to lean badly and then it put to much force on the mast stays and it then flopped over into the water.
So the thinking cap had to go back on to figure out how to make the plate as solid as i could.

This is the idea

Its 15mm plastic conduit that has been heated and then flattened, They have the carabina clips bolted to each end and a hole at the other that goes onto a bolt through from the underside and secured. they clip into the same deck loops as the mast stays.
They are off set to one side so that the mast can lay down to the left of me when on the water

And below with the little knob i made to secure the supports.

The sideways movement of the mount has just about been eliminated. I have pushed the top of the mast and it moves a bit till the whole kayak moved to the side when on the old cot mattresses it lives on.

be good to see how it goes on the water now
Last edited by Peterj on 27 Feb 2011, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Re: Mount Supports

Post by Bozzie »

Rope, with knots tied in it, will always have some give in it. Perhaps use plastic coated wire and a turn buckle instead for maximum rigidity. Also, attach the stays as far up the mast as possible for maximum strength and support.
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

swit
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Espri, Kingfisher

Post by swit »

Very nice Pete...I like that. It makes it much easier to put back on in the right spot, as you have a set attachment length...i.e. no fiddling about with adjusting tie downs, etc. I'm using spectra rope tie downs with olive cleats and it seems solid (very little stretch) but it's a swine to adjust to centre the board. Methinks I see a mod in my very near future :-)
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

...Mother being the necessity of invention i reckon us yakkers are right up there! Its quite amazing how each of finds various solutions to the problems we face. Really like the flattening out the tube with a heat gun idea and looks like it will hold all in place nicely.
If it wasn't for others 'having a go' i'd probably never have got off the ground with sail idea myself but now that I have I'm itching to get out there under sail power - the Misses reckons we're a bunch of lunatics who smoked too much hooch in our teens and if we want a feckin sail boat then we should go out and buy one and not feckup a perfectly good 'canoe'. (ed note - as you can tell, shes not a keen yakker!)
Me - I can't wait to try something stoopid like sail from Ricketts to Frangistan (followed by the call to swmbo - i'm in Frankston and theres no wind can you come get me!) ahh - the goods times ahead.
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

[quote="paddlepop (followed by the call to swmbo - i'm in Frankston and theres no wind can you come get me!) ahh.[/quote]

Frankston isn't the place to get marooned in Nick, might have a new Gilligans island series, i can see it now Ginger who's a 15 yr old mother of three builds a raft out of Bourban cans and gets rescued.
Just for the record, us yakkers are mad.
Bilby
Bill 0409139460
paddlepop
Square eyes
kayak: OK Prowler 13 - pimped-to-the-max
Location: East of the City..then go east again...nearly at the Dandenongs

Post by paddlepop »

bilby - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
verb. Fishing - doing nothing with a purpose