ABT HOPKINS RIVER CANCELLED

Australian Bream Fishing competition talk here!
IceManDude
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Re: ABT HOPKINS RIVER CANCELLED

Post by IceManDude »

spoke to a mate this afternoon...he works just up the road (literally) from the Deakin University Boat Ramp and lives in Allansford just on the east side of the river.

To put it plainly the river level has dropped back around to the high tide mark...roughly.
Due to his job he has heard of guys bagging out within 10 minutes....yes that 10 bream in ten minutes....the fish are on boys!!!! but the comp isn't.

The mouth is still open, and the mud banks/flats between the ski zone and the bridge are visible from the land!!!

I still can't work out why a comp, that will bring a heap of keen, crazy, yakkers to town to chase a few little critters, has been cancelled.... :-?

Will call tomorrow to see what the deal is...things just don't add up :-?
IceManDude
Square eyes

Post by IceManDude »

just got this reply on akff
by paffoh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:25 pm
IceManDude,

While I couldn’t make this round it makes it hard to comment on the loss of the Hopkins as a Daiwa-Hobie ABT stage, but I can on the series itself. With the way these tournaments have been held for the past couple of years, plus the whole ABT history and other tournaments they are associated with or run, I can understand why the event was cancelled. Even if the field would have been ridiculously huge I doubt anyone could have run a tournament at Hopkins River based on that figure alone. It is great to hear the Bream are on fire in large numbers but given the rivers past condition, and the inherent problems that cannot be foreseen, IMO I believe it was the best call (Given the circumstances).

A decision that would not have been taken lightly...
you make up your own mind
IceManDude
Square eyes

Post by IceManDude »

I rang the ABT today and the decision was made sometime late last week or over the weekend.

They apparently spoke to locals...but a local knows how quickly this river flushes out. Also locals know how quickly it bounces back.

To make things worse...due to the busy calendar this round will not be rescheduled for another date
IceManDude
Square eyes

Post by IceManDude »

i got this reply off facebook
Cancelling events is never going to be popular however the ABT gathers information, looks at the forecast then makes a decision for the good of the series, the fisho’s and the sponsors.
A decision has been made so let’s just accept it.
ABT /... Hobie do our best to run comps. Sometimes decisions are not popular. When and “if” it is to be re-run will be announced.
Thank you Steve Fields
paffoh
Apprentice
kayak: ALL CITY HOBIE

Post by paffoh »

IceManDude wrote:just got this reply on akff
by paffoh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:25 pm
IceManDude,

While I couldn’t make this round it makes it hard to comment on the loss of the Hopkins as a Daiwa-Hobie ABT stage, but I can on the series itself. With the way these tournaments have been held for the past couple of years, plus the whole ABT history and other tournaments they are associated with or run, I can understand why the event was cancelled. Even if the field would have been ridiculously huge I doubt anyone could have run a tournament at Hopkins River based on that figure alone. It is great to hear the Bream are on fire in large numbers but given the rivers past condition, and the inherent problems that cannot be foreseen, IMO I believe it was the best call (Given the circumstances).

A decision that would not have been taken lightly...
you make up your own mind
Ice,

As mentioned I can understand why it was cancelled, was suprised to hear at Bemm it was still on.

Don't try and read into things too much, not worth the quote.
Visit us online @: Import Tackle - Email: sales@importtackle.com - ABN: 758 208 595 29
Our social media @: Import Tackle Facebook, Import Tackle on Twitter and on You Tube.
madfishman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Pro Angler

Post by madfishman »

best thing we can do is try and get another round squeezed in after tassie, as theres 3 spots for the GF to get.

i suggest that by showing some numbers we could possibly have them review and put a third round in Vic and not deligate us to the likes of WA and only have 2 rounds.

If we take a positive approach by showing numbers interested in getting another chance to show our might..

I understand your frustration IMDUDE, as much as anyone, i for one of many have gone outta my way to get to most of the interstate rounds, because i choose to fish the comps.

I really believe we would have a great case to push for another round throughout the year for a 1 day event. we know we could get at least 30-40 guys for sure. i can count 20 off the top of my head.

But were would we have it...

BEMMMMMM....or Glenelg and drop the SA round...theres rumor the locals at westlakes have put a local by law in against anyone fishing close to pontoons and gardens...wtf.

so if you would be keen, id be happy to drop an email or phone call if we could get some numbers, a definite 40 would only convince them..

my thoughts.
Cheers ,
Neilo

www.slhobie.com.au
vaporboy
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: malibu mini x

Post by vaporboy »

I'm not a deffinent but you can put my name down as %90 yes for glenelg. Really disappointing it was cancelled, I was gonna enter. I don't see why they didn't have a glenelg one anyway, its made for it.
pigs jigs
fishsmith
Square eyes
kayak: Pro Angler and Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12

Post by fishsmith »

madfishman wrote:best thing we can do is try and get another round squeezed in after tassie, as theres 3 spots for the GF to get.

i suggest that by showing some numbers we could possibly have them review and put a third round in Vic and not deligate us to the likes of WA and only have 2 rounds.

If we take a positive approach by showing numbers interested in getting another chance to show our might..

I understand your frustration IMDUDE, as much as anyone, i for one of many have gone outta my way to get to most of the interstate rounds, because i choose to fish the comps.

I really believe we would have a great case to push for another round throughout the year for a 1 day event. we know we could get at least 30-40 guys for sure. i can count 20 off the top of my head.

But were would we have it...

BEMMMMMM....or Glenelg and drop the SA round...theres rumor the locals at westlakes have put a local by law in against anyone fishing close to pontoons and gardens...wtf.

so if you would be keen, id be happy to drop an email or phone call if we could get some numbers, a definite 40 would only convince them..

my thoughts.

I don't think we should start suggesting that ABT drop the SA round as they only have the one round, imagine how gutted our South Aussie yakkers would feel if they lost there only event. There's plenty of other options other than west lakes over there like the Onkaparinga, Port river etc
IceManDude
Square eyes

Post by IceManDude »

here is a post from Steve Fields on akff
by SteveFields » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:22 am
Good morning (6:00am),

I want everyone to understand that in discussions with the director (Simon) we left the door open to re-run the event if possible. If anyone at the ABT office said otherwise it is without my knowledge and I’m sure not the intent of the ABT. They are a great group of guys.

How we fit the event in the current schedule and staff the event is something that will be ironed out. Hobie will do what it can to re-run the event. You have my word on this.

Some have expressed strong opinions has to the decision making. Fair enough however having said that the decision has been made. Let's move on.

Knowing that we are looking at options should show everyone that we are keen on an event in this fishery.

I thank you.
Cheers
Steve
Lets hope they can reschedule this round...but logistics may dictate otherwise.

I've had my rant on this, i'll be leaving it there and will still be going down for that weekend, looking forward to smashing a few 1kg+ units!! :yahoo:
jackall
kayak: finn gizmo fisher

Post by jackall »

Well that sucks :evil: i was looking forward to it. the river has been going off at the moment as well. i know a mate that has been going out and getting 10 over a kilo. But no comp :cry:
oh well lets just hope they can reschedule it :thumbsup: