How to stop the wind? Make a sail

A section for the yak sailers around Victoria!
Mordy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback Yellow

How to stop the wind? Make a sail

Post by Mordy »

You have probably been wondering why the wind hasn’t had a blow for a while?
It’s because I finally finished my sail.
After a few variations I went with a 0.7M2 ocean kayak type sail, some thing I could pack up easily, and I hope a good starter sail.
Wanting to have my cake and eat it, I wanted a sail that would get somewhere , that I would be able to pack up quickly, have a fish then deploy the sail and head in.
Also wanted a sail that could tack. Looked at the PA sails, but then found this.
After building it I thought, maybe a bit small. I don’t usually go out in rough / windy weather so I will probably be looking at a bigger sail in the future for my fair-weather sailing.
I haven’t taken it out yet so I won’t beat my own drum too much.
Construction Ripstop Nylon Spotlight and 3MM Vinyl from Bunnings
Mast is a wooden painters extension roll 1.8M which I shaved down the end so it would fit in the Hobie Hole. Boom is a 15mm ID ridged irrigation pipe ( Black)
I will slide some PVC pipe over the Wooden mast when I pick some up.
The sail strut is a piece of Red Tongue from a chipboard flooring product.
Andif I see another sewing machine I’ll throw it over the fence.
Cost about $10.00 and a few odds and sods from the man cave.
Initial idea was to use poly tarp and carpet tape, but some how I started sewing??????
I’m glad I left the Mast longer or else I wouldn’t be able to peddle the Mirage drive.
Bring on the wind!
Tony
Attachments
100_0050 (Medium).JPG
Bent aluminium with bolts
Bent aluminium with bolts
100_0051 (Medium).JPG
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: How to stop the wind? Make a sail

Post by Ghurkin »

G,day Mordy,

will be interesting to see how she sails, got almost perfect weather for it with these E winds and smooth seas in close, looking forward to a report on this one dude.

P.S. you still owe me a beer :wave1:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Mordy
Lord of the fish

Post by Mordy »

Every time I see a Whiting I think of you Ghurkin,
Well done on the flatties , going solo these days, can't pickle handle the pace :D
I keep putting a beer in the fridge for you, but some keeps drinking it :roll:
Should have the Sail tested by the weekend might sail to Mornington on a beer run :D :D
Tony
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Mordy wrote:Every time I see a Whiting I think of you Ghurkin,
Well done on the flatties , going solo these days, can't pickle handle the pace :D
I keep putting a beer in the fridge for you, but some keeps drinking it :roll:
Should have the Sail tested by the weekend might sail to Mornington on a beer run :D :D
Tony

Pickle was busy that day with some of his buddies, 3 x 11 year old boys tearing around the house :down: see ya's Im going fishin!!

so every time you see a whiting at the fish mongers (Cuz I do believe you aint got one yet :eh: ) you think of me? thats funny because yesterday I caught a toadie and I thought "wonder how Mordies going with the sail?" :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :lol: will be drinking beer friday night, sail down here then and Ill have a brew with ya.

on a serious side; that sail really looks the ducks guts mate, Im a bit nervous about the timber mast though and hope it holds up, nuthin worse than yer mast going boom and yer boom going splash. so when are you planning a sea trial??
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Bozzie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Dune Pro Angler

Post by Bozzie »

Ghurkin wrote: Pickle was busy that day with some of his buddies, 3 x 11 year old boys tearing around the house
One boy is worth half a man,
Two boys are worth half a boy,
Three boys are totally, bl$$@y useless.
:yahoo: :yahoo:
The Rubai-Yak of Hobie Khayyam
Mob: 0409234439

Mordy
Lord of the fish

Post by Mordy »

Thanks Ghurkin!!!!
I always wondered why they called it a boom?
Thought it was the sound it made when it you on the noggin.

Ordered a sailing Rudder from Hobie Headquaters and it's in the post.
A sail is $425 and you don't have to have any thing to do with those machines of sewing.

I walked in to the local MilkBar and Pete says, "look what I've got", goes to the fridge and pulls a bag of Whiting!!!!

Nooooooooooo!

Talking of toadies I saw a guy down the pier with one in a bucket
I said to him ...you can't eat then they're poisonous??No , No,,,,, I make soup was his reply
The pier was getting a bit crowded.

Might hit the water tomorrow, gotta do a few self rescues first (before OH&S Eddie finds out!! :shock: :shock: :shock: )
Itching to try it, given up on the forecasts an early morning might be the go.
Tony
Wilyak
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Mirage Outback

Post by Wilyak »

Hi Mordy, your sail looks like a really great.
Can you put up the measurements so i can get the wife to start sewing; she just loves being involved :roll:
Mordy
Lord of the fish

Post by Mordy »

No problems Bill
Have a read of PeterJ's sail version 2 in the DIY section
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3668
There is a diagram there of the original which we have both worked on.
The sail worked but I found that I need more Power....... a bigger sail for lighter winds
while this is more of a storm sail ocean kayak sail.
If you haven't got enough detail PM your email address and I'll send you a bigger version.

Things I noted:
1.Probably spent too much time on this sail to realise it was too small for what I want.
I would recommend just getting some cheap poly tarp and some double sided tape they use for external carpet, think they sell it at clark and rubber and make up a quicky before you get the sewing machine out, try it and if you are happy with it make a sewn one.
see http://www.hobby-boatbuilding-index.de/ ... lueing.htm

2.Was that the Outback/ peddle yaks need a bit of room for your peddling action so don't make the boom too close to the deck
this is 618mm above the top of the Hobie hole (and 218mm in the hole)
Notice that with making the sail higher my sail window is now up in the gods but I have quite a gap between the deck and
the boom for vision.
My mast is 1800mm long ( a wooden paint roller extenstion) covered with 20mm upvc pressure pipe It's actual size is
27mm Outside diameter and 24mm internal wht they call it 20MM???( white pipe from the plumbing section)
This stops 218mm from the base of the mast so it can slip into the Hobie mast holder
Just walk arond the hardware and see what fits into what ( don't get caught)

"WIERDO IN AISLE SIX"

Sail is 950mm high and the boom is the same length.
I had to plane down and sand the wooden pole a bit to get it to fit and the PVC pipe has an end stop on the top of it to
ease the rubbing of the end of the mast on the fabric.
The sail has a nylon 3mm cord in a hem running around the outside edge.
Don't trim it to the end it will tension the edge of the sail.
The Boom and Mast have a doubled over piece of fabric for strength this is then sewn onto the main sail area.

Rigging
I just cut some pVC pipe to fit into the Hobie rod holders and Ducting taped them a bit so they are a good fit.
I ran the line front the left hand holder up through a pulley on the boom then down to a clip on the right hand holder then back to the side of my seat where I hold it with my right mand and steer with my left. all 3mm Nylon cord.
That's about it
Have fun
Tony
Attachments
Storm sail red.jpg
Peterj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: kingfisher

Post by Peterj »

That's nice work Mordy, be interested in a sail report :)
Mordy
Lord of the fish

Post by Mordy »

The sail
For it's size it went fine filled nicely and tacked well.
0.7M is on the smallish side for a kayak sail, I notice some of the "sea" kayak sails are really induastrial and used in some really stong weather.
But any push, is a push you don't need to apply.
Got it up to a quick walking pace, never felt like it was going to flip and didn't notice any loss of traction
WELL WHAT"S THE FUN IN THAT!!!
Just waiting for a good windy day without too much swell, and see if I can really bend that stick!!

I think I will be heading for a Hobie sail next 1.8m2
I think if the sail got bigger the mast would have to strengthened probably industrial aluminium
or Graphite ? fibreglass.

I found this reference describing her home made Mast on her sail
The mast is sections of aluminum tube that have .058″ walls so the top section is 1.25″ O.D., the middle is 1.375″ and the base is 1.50″. With the .058″ wall thickness, the 1.25″ fits into the 1.375″ and the 1.375″ fits into the 1.50″. There is .009″ of difference between the O.D. of one section and the I.D. of the section below it. This is just what one needs to make a tapered mast that goes together and pulls apart with no effort but is still strong enough. I put a couple of pop rivets near the top of each section so that the tube above it stops about 6″ into the bottom tube. The tubing can be bought at onlinemetals.com or at http://www.texastowers.com. Both 6061-T6 and the 6063-T832 work fine, strengthwise.
http://smalltrimarans.com/blog/?p=1848
I suppose the only way to to increase the sail area would be to go up, extending the boom length at that height would only end with a slapped face. The other option would be an over head sail that connects to the back or a combination with spinnaker, which could get a bit tricky.
That's using the hobie mount, but for those mounting it further forward it wouldn't be an issue.

Here is a comparison of varying sails on the market
http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Artic ... l/Sail.htm

Kayaksailor sails look great at $599. US
http://www.kayaksailor.com/sailor_resou ... ction.html
there are some good vids here ( and through out the site) so you can see how they mount their sails, love the way they just flick up!!!

Also found Rosco canoes in Brisbane that makes outriggers
http://www.roscocanoes.com.au/ACCESSORI ... g-309.aspx

But I suppose once you get bigger it really another ball game and more about sailing.
I was sitting out in the water today watching these yachts hooting by
Nice Sail Maaate!
Mordy
icon_sizingchart.gif
icon_sizingchart.gif (4.95 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
Attachments
Hobie desktop.jpg